New Index backup method

Last post 11-05-2019, 12:02 PM by solr. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • New Index backup method
    Posted: 05-17-2018, 4:07 AM

Hello

someone can explain me the new method to save indexes?

before there was a subclient "IndexBackup" in the Media Agent, now this subclient is disabled for backup and there are some new IndexSever entity (one for every storage policy like this "SP_nane_IndexServer") that are used for index backup.

Every IndexServer backups their data in the associeted storage policy, can I change the destination storage policy of all new Index Server subclient to a single storage policy (the one that was used to store the index backed-up with old method) ? if yes what is the suggested retention ?

Regards

• Re: New Index backup method
    Posted: 05-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Hi,

One of the major reasons for this change is to have index follow the data. This makes the availability of checkpoints very simple and easy in all the scenaios without looking for the storage policy \ media that was used for the index backups. Changing of Storage Policy for these Index Servers is not recommended. What is the reason for looking to change the storage policy?

Regards,

Prasad.

Posted: 05-17-2018, 12:44 PM

I would also recommend to read this article "http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10785.htm" and any further questions I can answer (also update documentation if necessary). 

Posted: 05-18-2018, 4:14 AM

Hello Sir,

There are benefits of doing index backups with the newer way.

1. In case of DR, it is critical to have index and source data resides at the same location to avoid downtime in case of critical restores. That gets achived by this new way of backups.

2. By doing this way, media agent is no longer a data bearing entity and can be deleted\re-provisoned any time without doing any index backup movements.

3. It has become very easy to manage index for particular source, no need to find which MA is index server or where my backup goes. It all resides with that pseudo client.

Thanks

Posted: 05-29-2018, 9:53 AM

Hi Sorry to jump on this thread 

But I have an intellisnap copy with my Primary copy going to tape. 

On previous recommendations I creates a dedicated storage Policy for my index backups to a specific disk Library. 

So by forcing me to use that Storage Policy I am placing my index backups to a tape that I'll need to have ready on site for an index restore

Is there no way I can change this or are we forced down this configuration? 

Posted: 11-05-2019, 7:26 AM

+1 on this. Can this question be addressed please?

Posted: 11-05-2019, 12:02 PM

As specified in one of the previous thread. The index backup goes to the same storage policy so that data and index are located on the same media. But in circumstances where this is not feasible \ requires a change the following thing could be done. I am keeping this in the form of a question.

can we change the storage policy for the automatically created index server clients.

Yes, You can change the storage policy of index server clients. To backup up the index to a different media. In case you are doing a DR on a regular basis make sure that the index backup media for that time period is also carried to the DR location.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy