Exchange DB agent job can't start.

Last post 01-06-2011, 3:32 PM by SReents. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange DB agent job can't start.
    Posted: 01-05-2011, 7:23 PM

Saw a part of this in another post, but I suspect the issues may be different so I'm starting a new thread.

Anyway, with Simpana 7 running on Win Server 2K3 SP3 and a Dell PV136T Library, the Exchange Database backup job doesn't start, finish or something in between. in the course of a day (today) the job has mounted and unmounted at least 3 tapes a total of 28 times. In the Job Controller the job is usually sitting in Pending status.

I can manually Resume the job; in less than a minute one of the aforementioned 3 tapes is mounted and almost simultaneously "Backup will be executed with classic APIs" is fired, and job status goes from Running to Pending.

As the tapes seem to be a re-occurring theme, I'm going to work on isolating that as a problem. Until then, if anyone has any other experience with this I'd sure appreciate a knowledge download. Thanks!

• Re: Exchange DB agent job can't start.
    Posted: 01-05-2011, 7:38 PM

is there a pending reason for the job ? Are there any errors in the logs or in event viewer ?

It is curious that it has chosen three different tapes for the job. Are the other ones marked full, were they used by jobs in other subclients ?

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-05-2011, 7:59 PM

The delay reason is the ever ambiguous "Please check the log files for this job for more details". The logfiles don't have obvious looking errors, but I need to look for patterns on my own before continuing this post.

The three tapes are not part of a stripe set for the single job. it's as if the job launches, the system mounts a tape for the job and 20 minutes later it unmounts that tape, then mounts a different one. That mount/unmount pattern repeats itself over the same three LTO tapes.

I will still pick through the logs further, but any thoughts on the switching tapes being a culprit, if not contributor?

Thank you for your reply, as well!

Posted: 01-05-2011, 8:32 PM

for Exchange Database backups, often times you can check the Windows application event log for errors around the time the job goes pending.  Sometimes Exchange throws exceptions which causes our jobs to fail. Other than that, you can try posting the backup log for more analysis. Other than that, i think the issue is still a bit too vague to help right now.  Switching between the tapes may be the culprit but it would seem more likely that it is a side effect of the actual issue.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 12:03 AM

yeah agreed would like to see the cv log for this from the CV program files folder

Posted: 01-06-2011, 12:40 AM
    At second job now. Will post logs tomorrow. Thanks!
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I'm attaching a segment of the CVD.log that shows job ID 10719, which is suffering from this issue. Is the entire 4MB file necessary? Is this the CV log you were referring to?

Attachment: cvd.txt
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM

the extidbbackup log from the exchange server would be the most useful log initially.

we would not need the entire 4mb file, just the portions of the file that pertain to the job.  you can cut and paste the relevant timeframe into a smaller file and attach that if you want.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Here is a portion of the extidbbackup file featuring job 10719. Beginning timestamp of 17:03 on Jan 5.

Posted: 01-06-2011, 1:05 PM

It seems we may need to see CVD log from the client and from the media agent during this timeperiod

3292 15b8 01/05 17:03:39 ##### [PIPELAYER  ] Tail response = dsBackup initialization success Status = 0 dwCode = 0 MsgType = 16 MsgSubType = 136 EventError = 0
    3292 15b8 01/05 17:03:39 10719 ::Backup() - Backup will be executed with Classic APIs.
    3292 15b8 01/05 17:03:39 10719 ::Backup() - Closing pipeline.
    3292 15b8 01/05 17:03:39 10719 CVArchive::ClosePipeline() - Closing Pipeline
    3292 15b8 01/05 17:03:39 10719 CVArchive::ClosePipeline() - Reseting allocated stream
    3292 15b8 01/05 17:03:39 10719 CCVAPipelayer::ClosePipeline() - About to destroy Data Mover

the datapipeline is shutting down almost immidiately, we would have to see why.
    Were you able to check for any errors in the Simpana event log or the Windows Application event log ?

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 2:30 PM

I've attached the MediaAgent portion of CVD. On the client (Exch Server) there are sequentially numbered CVD files; suggesting that at 5MB they rename themselves and continue on the next file. The problem is, in all of the files, there is no timestamp corresponding to the 17:03 window we're examining. Perhaps the absence of this timestamp is another clue unto itself? Anyway, here is the mediaAgent portion, plus a screenshot of the CVD log creation on the Exch Server.

Posted: 01-06-2011, 2:36 PM

having 4 full log files generated within 2 minutes of each other would mean either some debugging is turned on way too high or there are some serious errors that are causing the log to fill up very fast.   It may be a good idea to contact support for someone to look at the configuration and make sure there is nothing wrong.   

the CVD log on the media agent side also does not seem to have any particular error in it, just a clean shutdown of the pipeline after the tape has been mounted.

it may be easier to escalate the issue with someone in support so they can get the picture of the whole environment to check the necessary logs instead of trying to go piece by piece here.

On a side note, when did this issue start happening ?  Were jobs running for a period of time and then this issue started happening ? If this is the case, what has changed on the setup between succesful jobs and this failed job. Were updates installed, was some software upgraded ?

Are there other subclients which are successful, or are all subclients failing with similar errors.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 3:23 PM

the Exchange DB job began failing intermittantly months ago. It only became consistant in the last couple of weeks. The Exchange job was created to facilitate an issue with transaction logfiles not being deleted after an archive bit reset-because of logfile growth we created this daily full backup to ensure log deletion in place of the daily incremental that wasn't working.

I created two other subclients that worked, as well as failed at times, but their failure was not related to this issue. No updates other than Windows critical, Java, Adobe, etc. notably Commvault is still at version 7. No doubt support will suggest upgrading before addressing this issue.

Regarding logging level being set too high: is this setting changed on the Commvault Console or the Exchange server?

Posted: 01-06-2011, 3:32 PM

you are correct that upgrading will be one of the options suggested :)

there are several things that can affect the logging level, without having someone look at the logs its difficult to say what needs to be done.

You dont happen to have circular logging enabled on Exchange do you ?

Wearer of Many Hats
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy