Role pointers for AD restore

Last post 06-14-2018, 9:54 AM by Wwong. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Role pointers for AD restore
    Posted: 06-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me, or point me to some documentation that would help me set up a role that would allow a user (domain user group) to be able to restore AD users to Active Directory. The users already have the required AD permissions, it’s just the ability to browse, select and restore within CommVault that’s required.

The basic backup/restore of AD is already setup and working fine, however we are looking to allow our helpdesk staff to restore user accounts via the admin console, hence the need for an otherwise restrictive role.

• Re: Role pointers for AD restore
    Posted: 06-13-2018, 7:01 PM

Hi JReynolds

The following documentation would be a good starting points to managing User Permissions 

Documentation - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=8051.htm

Since you will be restricting/limiting the access for helpdesk staff, it might be good to setup a specific "Role" -> A role is a collection of permissions that defines the level of access granted to a user or a user group.

Documentation - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=8176.htm

• Roles - will allow you to restrict users to be only able to browse and restore, for a specific client (or a specific Client Computer Group -> with all the clients in it)

Once you have created the role, you assign the specifc role to all the users that needs the access. 

It would be advisable to test using a Dummy user first and if the permissions are correct then propagate to your other Helpdesk Staff.

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 06-14-2018, 5:34 AM

Hi Winston,

Thanks for those pointers I'll do some more digging.

I’d already set up new roles and assigned them to the servers that the Helpdesk staff can do file restores for, that side is working fine. I just can’t seem to get the correct setting to allow them to be able to view/browse the AD backups in order to restore a user account for instance.

Posted: 06-14-2018, 6:06 AM

It appears that I had all set the correct associations and permissions to the roles.

I only just thought to test it on Commcell and it all works as expected so it’s just the Admin console where we are having problems.

I don’t suppose anybody knows if AD restores via Admin Console are meant to work, or if it’s a yet to be released feture?

Posted: 06-14-2018, 9:54 AM

Hi JReynolds

Thanks for the clarification

I would believe that the permissions that is inheritted in CommServe should be propagated to the Admin console. 

However if the permissions is not pushed to Admin Console, might be worthwhile to check with CommVault Support to confirm whether the feature is supported. 

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy