Oracle RAC backup

Last post 01-06-2011, 4:47 PM by efg. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Oracle RAC backup
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 1:51 PM

I know this is a bit of an Oracle question but perhaps someone here already is backing up an Oracle RAC with commvault and knows the answer :)

I have configured a RAC in Simpana 8 with two instances and although the backup starts and gets to about 57% I cant get it to finish properly.

This is what is in the rman log (there is more normal logging but this is the only error I see) :

Rman Log:[
    Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Jan 6 18:25:23 2011
    Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
    RMAN>
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
    RMAN-04004: error from recovery catalog database: ORA-28009: connection as SYS should be as SYSDBA or SYSOPER

Anyone any idea's ?

• Re: Oracle RAC backup
    Posted: 01-06-2011, 2:47 PM

Good afternoon,

Can you uncheck RMAN catalog and resume the backup to see if it runs fine?

JW

Posted: 01-06-2011, 2:54 PM

Hello,

Please verify the "Use Catalog Connect:" string you are using for the RMAN
    Catalog and make sure you are using the correct login, password, catalog name.

As a test try unchecking that "Use Catalog Connect" box, then run a backup.
    If that is successful, then your login or password or catalog name is incorrect.

JW

Posted: 01-06-2011, 3:33 PM

Yup, then it runs fine

What does that mean ? :) (I am feeling a "wrong user" or "insufficient rights" answer coming up hehe)

Thanks, Stefan.

Posted: 01-06-2011, 4:03 PM

Stefan,

You're absolutely correct.  It is either an issue with a wrong user or insufficient rights.

Hehe.

JW

Posted: 01-06-2011, 4:47 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-19-2019, 10:38 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

Please check the configuration in the Commserver for this database.   Typically when a database backup is configured to use a recovery catalog, the sys account is not used for the recovery catalog user.  This is because the sys account is typically "sysdba".  Please check with your DBA to see if the RMAN user in the catalog was given sysdba privileges.

Usually the recovery catalog owner only needs the following grants: resource, dba, & recovery_catalog_owner. 

For more details on this please check the oracle documentation (Specifically the Recovery Managers Users Guide) for more details.

If you do not have a catalog configured in your enviroment then I would highly recommend enabling the "Auto-Backup" option in the instance properties in the CommCell Browser for this database.  That will make DR recovery of this database possible without having a recovery catalog.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy