Restore mailboxes to multiple PSTs v10 SP13

Last post 07-03-2018, 8:25 AM by tcottrell. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Restore mailboxes to multiple PSTs v10 SP13
    Posted: 06-22-2018, 12:41 AM

Hi,

We're running Commvault v10 R2 SP13 and using the Exchange Mailbox iDA to backup mailboxes with. In the Commvault Console, when I want to restore mailboxes, I browse & restore-> select the mailboxes I want to restore->recover all selected->select "to PST file", but I can't see an option that will let me restore each mailbox to a separate PST, it seems to only let me create one single PST only.

Help.

Regards, George.

• Re: Restore mailboxes to multiple PSTs v10 SP13
    Posted: 06-25-2018, 11:14 AM

This option was introduced in V11, so would recommend upgrading to be able to perform this operation.  Documentation noting this feature is here:  http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=17407.htm#o17421

Posted: 06-25-2018, 5:27 PM
    Hi tcottrell, thanks for that information. In order to enable this functionality, do i just need to upgtade the commserve and MediaServer to v11 SP11? We will be retiring this Commvault system in the near future and maybe rebuilding it from the ground up, so I don’t want to spend the effort in upgrading every single component if I don’t have to. My major focus at this stage is to “unlock” the ability to restore archived mailboxes to individual PST files. Regards, George.
    Posted: 06-26-2018, 8:00 AM

In order for the CS to be aware of the feature it would most definitely have to be upgraded, as would the client where the Exchange Mailbox agent is installed. The Media Agent the restore is going off of would also need to be at V11 to be able to reliably perform this action as well.  All other components and clients could remain at their current update level and should be unaffected.

Posted: 06-26-2018, 5:27 PM
    Hi, thanks for that. Which client are you referring to - the one that i am restoring the PST files to? If i am just restoring to PSTs and not to mailboxes, why do i need to upgrade the client at all? What if the Exchange server that was used to run the mailbox backups from no longer exists? Its client object and backupsets still exists in Commvault, but the actual server is no longer on the network, I cannot upgrade it rhen, which is why i am asking which, if any, client do i need to upgrade to v11 to be able to perform restores to PSTs? Regards, George.
    Posted: 06-27-2018, 9:04 AM

You can still restore without Exchange on v11 so thats not a big deal!  Make sure that the server where you are going to browse from that contains the actual backup is DECONFIGURED COMPLETELY prior to your upgrade.  When this is the case, the client is automatically upgraded as well giving you all options/features for the new version without having to touch the original client.  The destination client which you are going to be targeting the restore to also has the Exchange Mailbox agent on it, otherwise you would not be able to run restores through it, so it will also need to be upgraded.

Just to confirm, this is the Exchange Mailbox agent and not the Exchange Mailbox Archiver agent, correct?

Posted: 06-27-2018, 6:43 PM

Hi, thanks again for your help. Let me return to my original question and what I believe to be the solution from our conversations. I will use server/client names to make things clear:-

v10 Commserve server is "mifv-commcell"

v10 Media Agent server is "mifv-mediasrvr"

Exchange server that used the v10 Exchange Mailbox agent to perform mailbox backups/archiving was "mifv-exch3". This actual server no longer exists on our network, but it's client object, backupsets and subclients still exist in Commvault.

Exchange server that's running the v10 Exchange Mailbox agent that has a folder on one of its drives called "Restored PSTs" that I want to target the restores to is "mel-ndc-exch01".

To be able to run a single restore job that will restore multiple maiboxes by initiating a Browse & Restore on mifv-exch3 to individual PST files (one PST file per mailbox), I need to upgrade mifv-commcell to v11, mifv-mediasrvr to v11 and the Exchange Mailbox agent on mel-ndc-exch01 to v11 and target the restore job to mel-ndc-exch01/Restored PSTs, am I right so far?

Now to add to this, this Commvault system originally began life as v9 several years ago and back then there was an Exchange client called "mifv-exch2" that had the Mailbox Archiver agent on it and it performed mailbox backups/archiving to "mifv-mediasrvr". mifv-exch2 was decomissioned sometime prior to when Commvault was upgraded from v9 to v10, but its client object, backupsets and subclients still exist in Commvault. So when I upgrade mifv-commcell, mifv-mediasrvr and the Exchange Mailbox agent on mel-ndc-exch01 from v10 to v11, will I be able to initiate a Browse & Restore operation on mifv-exch2's Mailbox Archiver backupset(s) and restore the archived mailboxes to "one PST file per mailbox" on the "Restored PSTs" folder on mel-ndc-exch01? If not, what options do I have to be able to restore these archived mailboxes? 

Regards, George.

Posted: 06-27-2018, 6:51 PM

P.S., I forgot to ask... When you say "Make sure that the server where you are going to browse from that contains the actual backup is DECONFIGURED COMPLETELY prior to your upgrade", are you talking about "mifv-exch3" and "mifv-exch2"? What happens if I don't deconfigure completely these clients prior to upgrade? As I mentioned, neither of these actual servers exist on our network any longer, the only Exchange server/client that's "live online" on our network is "mel-ndc-exch01".

Regards, George.

Posted: 06-28-2018, 9:05 AM

To be able to run a single restore job that will restore multiple maiboxes by initiating a Browse & Restore on mifv-exch3 to individual PST files (one PST file per mailbox), I need to upgrade mifv-commcell to v11, mifv-mediasrvr to v11 and the Exchange Mailbox agent on mel-ndc-exch01 to v11 and target the restore job to mel-ndc-exch01/Restored PSTs, am I right so far?

Yes that is correct.

Now to add to this, this Commvault system originally began life as v9 several years ago and back then there was an Exchange client called "mifv-exch2" that had the Mailbox Archiver agent on it and it performed mailbox backups/archiving to "mifv-mediasrvr". mifv-exch2 was decomissioned sometime prior to when Commvault was upgraded from v9 to v10, but its client object, backupsets and subclients still exist in Commvault. So when I upgrade mifv-commcell, mifv-mediasrvr and the Exchange Mailbox agent on mel-ndc-exch01 from v10 to v11, will I be able to initiate a Browse & Restore operation on mifv-exch2's Mailbox Archiver backupset(s) and restore the archived mailboxes to "one PST file per mailbox" on the "Restored PSTs" folder on mel-ndc-exch01? If not, what options do I have to be able to restore these archived mailboxes? 

Unfortunately you cannot restore content between these agent types.  My recommendation would be to spawn seperate restore jobs per mailbox to separate the content manually.  Not the most gloroius of options, but it is the only one I have for you unfortunately.  I believe you noted on another thread that you were able to install the Mailbox Archiver agent already as V10.  Please note that the server with that agent deployed will not be able to be upgraded to V11, so keep that in mind when planning this out.  The Mailbox Archiver Agent was deprecated in V10 and completely unsupported in V11 so upgrade between those version of that agent is not possible.

Posted: 06-28-2018, 9:08 AM

If you do not deconfigure the client completely, it will not be upgraded with the CS and will remain as the original version.  The only way to upgrade them at that point is by opening a support ticket and getting a script (I believe) to manually upgrade them.  If they are completely deconfigured at the time of the commserve being upgraded (at the client level, meaning each agent and than the client are 'deconfigured') then the Commserve will automatically 'upgrade' them to the latest update level.  As noted on my previous reply, if the Mailbox Archiver agent is part of the equation, it will not be upgraded though to V11.

Posted: 06-28-2018, 7:18 PM

Hi, thanks for that.

In regards to deconfiguring the client prior to the upgrade, I'm still not sure which client you're referring to? Is it the "mel-ndc-exch01" client, the "mifv-exch3" client, the "mifv-exch2" client"? the mel-ndc-exch01 client is the destination client I'll be targeting the restores to and I'll have a volume prepared on this client where the PST files will be created on. The other 2 clients are the ones I'll be performing the browse & restore operations from and neither of these clients actually exist on the network any longer. So please clarify which of these clients need to be deconfigured prior to the upgrade? 

mel-ndc-exch01 is the client I've installed both the v10 Exchange Mailbox agent and v9 Mailbox Archiver agent on. As per your previos post, this client's v10 Exchange Mailbox agent will upgrade to v11 and its v9 Mailbox Archiver agent will remain on v9, but I'll still be able to spawn separate restore jobs per mailbox from mifv-exch02's archive backup-sets to mel-ndc-exch01 post the commcell and MA upgrade to v11, correct?

Is this "deconfigure the client prior to the upgrade" something that's mentioned in the v10-to-v11 upgrade documentation or is it something you've learnt from experience, or both?

Regards, George.

Posted: 06-29-2018, 8:19 AM

Any target you can physically upgrade that still has an agent installed is not a concern here.  Its the clients that no longer exist that should be deconfigured completely as you have no way of physically upgrading them.  If you have an agent installed , just perform a normal upgrade of it and you will be good here with that one !

Here is the documentation on the 'upgrade of deconfigured clients':

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=5965.htm

During a CommServe upgrade, are deconfigured clients also upgraded?

If the CommServe software is upgraded to a new software release, any deconfigured clients from up to two prior releases will be automatically upgraded to the same software release. Thus, if a deconfigured client must be reinstalled, it will need to be reinstalled using the installation package for the same software release as the CommServe.

----------------------

So the client (with the mailbox agent) you are restoring from also has the Mailbox Archiver agent installed or is that just the destination?  May need a support case here to evaluate all options.  As noted, the mailbox archiver agent cannot be upgraded, but that client also will not be upgraded if it cant be (which means all agents on it are required to be upgraded so an unsupported agent will block it from the upgrade here).  

If the mailbox archiver agent is seperate from the mailbox agent that you are browsing from, than you should be ok here.  Here is how I understand it (and please correct me where I am wrong):

mifv-exch3 - Exchange Mailbox agent only (you can upgrade this to v11 and restore using the separate PST option for this one)

mifv-exch2 - Exchange Mailbox Archiver agent (you cannot upgrade this client to v11 and are stuck with restoring to a single PST per job)

mel-ndc-exch01 - Exchange Mailbox and Exchange mailbox archiver agent (you cannot upgrade this client to v11 since it has the mailbox archiver agent BUT is the mailbox archiver agent only here to facilitate restores? if so we can get around this by deleting the mailbox archiver agent --- we could than stand up the mailbox archiver agent on a separate instance or server to be able to restore to it)

Posted: 07-02-2018, 3:04 AM

Hi, thanks for that.

In answer to "So the client (with the mailbox agent) you are restoring from also has the Mailbox Archiver agent installed or is that just the destination?", No it's just the destination Exchange server - mel-ndc-exch01 - that is alive and active on the network and it has got both agents installed. They are installed under 2 instances, so I've actually got two mel-ndc-exch01 clients - one called "mel-ndc-exch01" with the v10 Exchange Mailbox agent and the other called "mel-ndc-exch01_MailboxArchiver" with the v9 Mailbox Archiver agent. Both of these clients/agents are only here to facilitate restores.

So I take it from your post that I'll be able to upgrade my client "mel-ndc-exch01" to the v11 Exchange Mailbox agent which will let me browse/restore from mifv-exch3 to mel-ndc-exch01 and restore to multiple PSTs based per each mailbox, right?

But because I can't upgrade "mel-ndc-exch01_MailboxArchiver" to v11, I'm stuck with restoring from mifv-exch2 to a single PST per job to mel-ndc-exch01_MailboxArchiver - or alternatively I'm stuck restoring directly back into the mailboxes, right?

I also take it from your post that I'll have to deconfigure "mel-ndc-exch01_MailboxArchiver", mifv-exch2 and mifv-exch3 during my commserve upgrade, right? Once again, neither mifv-exch2 or mifv-exch3 actually exist on our network any longer - only their clients, agents, backupsets, subclients and most importantly their backed-up data still exist. The only server I want to target the restores to is mel-ndc-exch01. 

Hope this makes more sense?

Regards, George.

Posted: 07-03-2018, 8:25 AM

All looks spot on to me :)

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy