backing up via multiple vCenter servers

Last post 07-02-2018, 2:30 AM by aldog24. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • backing up via multiple vCenter servers
    Posted: 06-17-2018, 6:30 PM

version: v11 SP10

Hi,

I currently have a media agent also acting as VSA. I am in the transition of migrating from vCenter to another vCenter on the VMware side. During the transition, some of the subclients are moved to the new vCenter but other VMs remain on the old vCenter. Is there a way to configure the VSA to talk to both vCenter? I can't find a way to add the second vCenter under the current media agent/VSA.

thank you.

• Re: backing up via multiple vCenter servers
    Posted: 06-18-2018, 5:28 AM

Hello ACPP,

Unfortunately this is not possible.

Each virtualization client, will only be able to backup VMs in one vCenter or vCloud.

What you would be looking to do here, is to set up a new Virtualization psudo client, BUT you can still use the old VSA proxy as long as it has the required ports open to communicate to the new vCenter server.

Please see:

Creating a virtualization pseudo client http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=32165.htm

System requirements for ports required: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=3368.htm

I hope this has answered your question!

Kind regards

Allister

Posted: 06-28-2018, 5:30 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 08-17-2019, 3:28 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,684

If the migration was completed quickly, you would just update the psuedo client's vcenter name and credentials to pick up where it left off on the new Vcenter.

Posted: 07-02-2018, 2:30 AM

Hello Liam,

This may not be possible if the VMs are located in both vCenters>

During the transition, some of the subclients are moved to the new vCenter but other VMs remain on the old vCenter. Is there a way to configure the VSA to talk to both vCenter?

My recommendation would be to set up another pseudo client.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards

Allister

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy