VSA proxy "open failed with isam error 14" or "failed to read index version resource record"

Last post 07-13-2018, 3:31 AM by Wwong. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA proxy "open failed with isam error 14" or "failed to read index version resource record"
    Posted: 07-03-2018, 12:14 AM

Hi Commvault Community,

I've got a VSA proxy version 11.0.0(Build80) SP10 install connecting to VMware vSphere 6.5 backing up roughly 250 VMs. It's been working fine, but just lately one VM template in particular has been causing problems, its backup fails consistently with the following errors:

1668 3f0 07/03 02:19:42 3191198 VMCRCTABLE(C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\iDataAgent\JobResults\CV_JobResults\iDataAgent\Virtual getResource: open failed with isam error 14 (File corrupt at open). sysiocod=0 result=0
    1668 3f0 07/03 02:19:42 3191198 VMCRCTABLE(C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\iDataAgent\JobResults\CV_JobResults\iDataAgent\Virtual readIndexVersion: failed to read index version resource record
    1668 10c8 07/03 02:19:42 3191198 VSBkpWorker::CRCExtentProcessor() - Failed to readcheck sum record from the previous job table, VM Name [vm-ubuntu-standard]

I've tried deleting the left over dat files which doesn't make any difference, there's not much else I can think to do. I'm not the administrator of the Commvault system so I can only try solutions from the client end but I can ask the system administrators for help if needed. Anyone have an idea what I can do about this?

Thanks,

Lucas

• Re: VSA proxy "open failed with isam error 14" or "failed to read index version resource record"
    Posted: 07-11-2018, 6:04 PM

Hi lucasjb

For the VSA Backup job is this an incremental or full?

The errors that you see looks to be a potential issue with reading the Index.

Also can you also confirm with your CommVault Administrator, whether there is any Anti-virus installed on the VSA Proxy Server or the MediaAgent (if there is can you please apply the exclusions - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=8665.htm)

At the moment it is best to cover all grounds and confirm all environmental details, so the best solution can be put in place

Thank you 

Winston

• Re: VSA proxy "open failed with isam error 14" or "failed to read index version resource record"
    Posted: 07-12-2018, 1:46 AM

Thanks Winston for you interest. This is an incremental backup of client type Virtual Server / VMware. I manage the VSA Proxy Server, there is no antivirus on that server. I don't manage the MediaAgent however I'd be very surprised if that were the problem considering that there are around 250 VMs sucessfully completing their backups through this client and only 1 failing, I can ask the sysadmins to confirm. Below is a snippet from my daily backup report showing 3 very similar VM templates (these are all powered-off VM templates, not running VMs), 2 of them that consistently complete their nightly backup and the one that consistently fails, maybe that would be useful? These templates aren't particularly important, if a solution were to involve renaming or moving or recreating them I can probably do that.

N/A atlassian-vm-ubuntu-special 172.26.90.41 4000v-it-vsaproxy-w Completed 30.00 GB 0 30.00 GB 07/12/2018 1:51:36  07/12/2018 1:53:16  Not running vmx-11 Ubuntu Linux (64-bit) VADP Disabled   hotadd  
    Failure Reason:atlassian-vm-ubuntu-special Warning File system metadata collection is not supported for [Ext4] volume [vg1-lv1], VM [atlassian-vm-ubuntu-special]
    N/A atlassian-vm-ubuntu-standard 172.26.90.41 4000v-it-vsaproxy-w Failed 20.00 GB 0 0 07/12/2018 2:14:19  N/A Not running vmx-11 Ubuntu Linux (64-bit) VADP Disabled   hotadd  
    N/A atlassian-vm-windows-standard 172.26.90.42 4000v-it-vsaproxy-w Completed 30.00 GB 0 11.23 GB 07/12/2018 0:24:51  07/12/2018 0:26:29  Not running vmx-11 Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (64-bit) VADP Disabled   hotadd  
    Posted: 07-12-2018, 5:04 PM

Hi lucasjb

Thanks for the update

Seeing how the alert looks to be related to corrputed index, could you please ask your CV Administrator to run a Full Backup for that VM. 

Once that is done, then we can monitor whether the incremental are still running into the issue.

Hopefully that resolves the issue

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 07-12-2018, 9:38 PM

Hi Winston,

Thanks for the advice. On my existing subclient it's only possible to re-run an incremental backup for failed VMs. I can't find anyway to run a full backup for a single VM. I think that's expected behaviour.

I created a new subclient for my Virtual Server instance that includes only the problematic VM and ran a single full backup which completed successfully.

Can you explain to me how I can run a full backup of just one VM in the subclient that includes all VMs? Or even just delete its current backup so that it'll be forced to create a new full backup? I can't find any way to do this. Or even tell the subclient to make its next backup a full backup (not synthetic full)?

Appreciate your advice.

Posted: 07-13-2018, 3:31 AM

Hi lucasjb

At the moment you won't be able to just run a Full backup against on VM in the subclient. 

If you do want to run a Full backup of a single VM, you will need to create a new subclient and place just that VM into that subclient. 

Going back to the original issue, I believe further investigation for VM template is required, so we can really drill down on the issue. 

When you get a chance I would recommend to open a ticket with CommVault support. 

Thank you 

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy