Reference Copy question(s)

Last post 07-24-2018, 5:39 AM by Jos1982_NL. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Reference Copy question(s)
    Posted: 07-05-2018, 8:19 AM

So quick outline

1. Server on data is being backed up by VSA and using our normal cycles/retention via Storage Policy

2. Installed File level agent on server to capture data for Reference copy

3. Reference copy will backup data for Infinite period, will not use dedupe or be included in the Aux copy using new Storage Policy settings

4. Safely delete File level data after successful Reference copy?

Detailed explaination and questions below:

I am creating a Secondary Reference copy of some data that needs to be retained indefinitely. I installed the file level agent (Server is a VM). 

I can assoicate the default subclient in the Reference Copy Contents and select Retain Indefinitely on the Retention tab.

When I click OK it states that I need to associate it with give an Error that states "Please select a storage policy for the subclient".

I assume that when I create the a new Storage Policy this is where I can tell it not to use dedupe or cycles and Infinite, does that sound accurate?

There is no need to back this data up after the initial and no need to use dedupe since it is a one time indefinite retention.

After the Reference copy runs a backup of the data is it safe to delete the File level version of the data?

The Server (VM) is being backed up nightly by the VSA client and our default Storage policy. I just need specific data perserved. That makes sense?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• Re: Reference Copy question(s)
    Posted: 07-24-2018, 5:39 AM

Hi Bill,

I assume that when I create the a new Storage Policy this is where I can tell it not to use dedupe or cycles and Infinite, does that sound accurate?

Yes, you can set this on the Storage Policy Copy for the Storage Policy which is assigned to your reference copy.

After the Reference copy runs a backup of the data is it safe to delete the File level version of the data?

Yes, a reference copy is maintained seperate from the original backup.

The Server (VM) is being backed up nightly by the VSA client and our default Storage policy. I just need specific data perserved. That makes sense?

Yes and no, If you want to preserve data on a different location or want to combine multiple sources then a reference copy makes sense.
    If you only want to retain the data you could manually set the job retention to infinite.
    You could also make a selective copy with retention set to infinite and associate only the clients needed.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy