Granular File Recovery - VMWare

Last post 07-09-2018, 2:53 PM by Liam. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Granular File Recovery - VMWare
    Posted: 05-30-2018, 2:35 PM

Hi All.

I sit with a slow restore issue.

VM size: 20TB (10TB vmdk)

Guest size: 13TB

Folder to recover: 16GB

The restore runs very slowly like 11 hours and still not complete. It is Out of Place and runs via NBD.

CV Infrastructure - MA/Proxy is Windows 2012, Disk Library is split over 2 NAS devices. Granular Recovery is enabled on the Schedule Policy.

So I want to understand the restore process and check where the issue could potentially sit.

I can see the folder being staged in the Job Results folder but this is already bigger in size that what the original folder is.

Where could potential issues lie with this configuration? Time to rehydryte such a big vmdk? Performance of the raid set hosting the job results on the MA/Proxy?

Much appreciated.

Regards,

• Re: Granular File Recovery - VMWare
    Posted: 06-01-2018, 3:50 AM

Question, are you restoring directly to the VM or redirected via a file system agent?

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 06-01-2018, 4:08 AM

Directly to the VM.

I must say that there are over 100,000 files to be restored for 32GB of data. 

Would the size of the Job Results location have an impact?

I am considering the agent as option. 

Thanks. 

Posted: 06-01-2018, 4:30 AM

That is part of the reason why.
    You want to install a file system agent in the VM and recovery thru that agent.

Quote commvault:

"Note: To restore virtual machine files and folders when the total restore size is larger than 100 GB or has more than 50,000 files, use an agent installed in the destination client or virtual machine. For the fastest recovery time and the least space required for extent caching, use Live File Recovery with an agent in the guest. "

I am not sure in which extent the job results folder is impacted in a file restore from VM data.
    If I find any information I will let you know.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 07-09-2018, 2:53 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,706
    What happens when there is a file level restore from a disk level Virtual Server back up, is that data is restored from a block level backup. Then we collect the metadata off the disk which represent the file and which blocks they are stored at. Since we did not backup the file, but the blocks, we need to restore the block back and make the files. So let's say you wished to restore just 1 file. Let's say the file is spread out across 10 blocks. The restore has to first grab each one of those blocks out of the backed up chunks. It then needs to restore each block into a holding location. Once it has all the blocks it can reconstruct the file and then place it to the restore location. 

1) Perform a live browse of the data as this will use less space on the proxy building the data, but will still have performance issues for large restores.

2) Restore the VMDK the out place and attach to a VM. Copy the files you need then discard the disk.

3) Choose less files to restore at the same time.

While there is no size limitation, the recommendation is to keep it small around 100GB and\or 80k objects due to the complexity involved In which will cause the file level restore to take extensive amounts of time. To explain it helps to understand what happens on the restore. What happens with File level restore from a disk level Virtual Server back up, is that the backup is done via block level. Then we collect the metadata off the disk which represent the file and which blocks they are stored at. Since we did not backup the file, but the blocks, we need to restore the block back and make the files. So let's say you wished to restore just 1 file. Let's say the file is spread out across 10 blocks. The restore has to first grab each one of those blocks out of the backed up chunks. It then needs to restore each block into a holding location. Once it has all the blocks it can reconstruct the file and then place it to the restore location.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vs_vmware/c_vmw_restore_guest_files.htm

Note: To restore virtual machine files and folders when the total restore size is larger than 100 GB or has more than 50,000 files, use an agent installed in the destination client or virtual machine. For the fastest recovery time and the least space required for extent caching, use Live File Recovery with an agent in the guest.

If you are expecting to do large file level restores on a particular machine often, it is recommended you use the Windows File System iDA for better performance.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy