Need help to understand why Extended Retention isn't working

Last post 07-13-2018, 5:16 AM by Ola Lawal. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Need help to understand why Extended Retention isn't working
    Posted: 07-10-2018, 2:26 AM

Hi I need some assisting to understand how actually extended retention works. I've inherit the backups from a previous backup admin which has left the company. As an Oracle DBA I myself don't work with Commvault that much thus I'm trying to understand how everything works slowly.

I need help in understanding the extended retention which the previous admin configure as I do not see any backups being retain according to the stipulated value.

Below is the properties for the storage policy which we use. However when I check the backup history for my client machine, I only saw 30days of backups shown.

Would highly appreciate if someone could shed some light into this as I'm very confuse now.

• Re: Need help to understand why Extended Retention isn't working
    Posted: 07-10-2018, 5:56 AM

Hi,

Extended retention rules allow you to keep specific full (or synthetic full) backups for an additional period of time.

Extended retention rules allow you to define three additional "extended" retention periods for full (or synthetic full) backups. For example:

• You may want to retain your weekly full backups for 30 days.
    • You may want to retain your monthly full backup for 90 days.
    • You may want to retain your yearly full backup for 365 days.

A backup job will be selected for extended retention based on its start time. For example: If a backup job starts at 11:55 pm on August 31st and ends at 1 am on September 1st, then it will be selected as the last full backup for the month of August and will be picked up for extended retention.

In all other cases, we recommend you to use Auxiliary Copy for extended storage as it actually creates another physical copy of the data, thereby reducing the risk of data loss due to media failure.

Procedure: Setting Up Extended Retention Rules

Reference:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11918.htm#o11919

In your Scenario, the Extended Retention is set to 90 days (3 months) for Weekly Fulls and this will pick the Weekly Fulls that runs starting from Friday and will retain them on this copy for 3months.

However, extended retention could be set differently based on Agent types. 

For example, Database Agents have unique retention rules and behaviors for logs. 

Reference: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11918.htm#o11923

1.) What Agent e.g SQL, Oracle, WFS are you backing up on this Client associated to the Secondary Storage Policy Copy 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Ola.

Posted: 07-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Hello there, thanks for the reply.

I've read the explanation on the extended retention too, however after going through the backup histories of each of my clients I do not see any weekly full retention of 90days. It's all showing retention 30days only. 

I'm running on Oracle agent.

Posted: 07-13-2018, 5:16 AM

Thanks for the Updates.

You need to create a new Storage Policy and set the Extended retention settings to pick up weekly FULLS for 90 days as it seems like only Primary copy has been configured.

1.) Do you have Selective Copy with Extended retention set already? If not, go to 2.)

2.) Set up a new Selective Copy with Extended retention settings.

Reference:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=12191.htm#o12195

Please try above settings and let me know of further updates.

Thanks.

Ola.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy