[Backup] Best practices shared volumes

Last post 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM by Sanjay. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • [Backup] Best practices shared volumes
    Posted: 08-09-2018, 7:53 AM

Hello.

Can someone provide me a guide or link for backup virtual server with shared volumes on a HyperV 2012 R2 or 2016 Cluster?

BR

Pootch

• Re: [Backup] Best practices shared volumes
    Posted: 08-13-2018, 2:38 PM

Let me know if this helps - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=31373.htm

Posted: 08-14-2018, 7:37 AM

Hello.

I am sorry, but this was not what I would like to to backup.

I need to backup shared vhds / vhdx files which are shared via multiple virtual servers.

When I try to backup those, I'll get this error message:

Error creating virtual machine snapshot.

BR

Pootch

Posted: 08-14-2018, 10:06 AM

Sorry for the confusion - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=31493.htm

• Backups of shared VHD or VHDX files are not supported for Hyper-V Server 2016. Checkpoint operations fail when backing up VMs that are configured with shared disks.
    Are you seeing this error for your 2012 R2 configuration?
    Posted: 08-16-2018, 4:54 AM

Hello.

It works on a 2012 R2 Cluster to backup shared vhdx volumes.

Is there no way to do this as well on a 2016 HyperV Cluster?

BR

Pootch

Posted: 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Support for backing up Shared VHD set on 2016 host is on the road map and wil be available in  furutre service pack. Till then we recommend installing a file system iDA inside each of the guest VM sharing the VHD for data protection.

Regards

Sanjay

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy