Continuous / Remote Backup - Exchange 2k7

Last post 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM by ArvTechMan. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Continuous / Remote Backup - Exchange 2k7
    Posted: 01-12-2011, 2:46 PM

Hey all,

We are currently waiting for V9 on Jan 31st to fix the majority of our replication problems with exchange.  To provide a little history we are doing CDR for about 23 locations all coming back to our data center split between two servers handling the destination data.  CDR for the exchange servers, and then SDR for our main servers which pairs also replicate back to two servers at the data center.

When things work, they work great.  Our problem lies with getting the original sync to not cause a full re-sync with exchange pairs, which in return will never complete because the data is just to large to move entirely across the wan when generating gigs and gigs of cv rep logs.  I read/set usn, etc, etc, everything except stopping SQL (we can't afford to) but the original sync still fails on the database.

My question is, can I set the pair in Remote Backup Mode to sync across the wan.  This way rep logs are not a concern.  Only the data that needs to replicate.  Then once the full sync completes in Remote Backup mode.  Can I then switch the pair to Continuous?  This will then start generating cv log files and keep things in check like our other working pairs.  My thoughts are yes, but I wanted to pose the question.

Currently we are trying to decide what mode is best for our environment.  So overall, if a pair is setup and running in either mode, can these modes be toggle between without causing pair issues?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Continuous / Remote Backup - Exchange 2k7
    Posted: 01-13-2011, 6:05 PM

i presume your waiting for v9 so you can drop CDR/SDR and use DASH copies?

This will reduce the data going over the WAN so should help your issues.

• Re: Continuous / Remote Backup - Exchange 2k7
    Posted: 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM

CDR works well for us once the pair goes to a Replicating State.  It's the initial Out-Of-Band sync that continues to fail and thus tries to replicate a 150gb exchange database...  So I was hoping to sync across the wan in Remote mode and then switch to Continuous when all data has finished the initial sync.

As for SDR we do plan to use Dash Copy when we move to Version 9. 

Version 9 is suppose to correct our CDR problem because it goes beyond just the limitation of only reference MS Change Journal, but instead of waiting I would like to try correcting the issue if possible with the idea of Remote, then Continuous when data is sync'd...

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy