backup copies falling behind

Last post 09-11-2018, 10:47 PM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • backup copies falling behind
    Posted: 09-11-2018, 6:34 PM

Hello

We are running V11 SP 9. We have a storage policy that has fallen behind in backup copies. We have 4 media agents with a 4 partition GDDB. The schedule is setup to run every 8 hours. In the schedule I have selected Number of jobs run allow maximum. I have seen as many as 7 backup copies run at one time. However I have 10 clients that are behind in backup copies some clients are holding over a month worth of snapshots.

How does a workflow select the next snapshot to be copied?

Does allow maximum jobs have a limit of how many jobs run at one time?

Thanks in advance

• Re: backup copies falling behind
    Posted: 09-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Hi Gville

In relation to your questions, the answers are inline:

• How does a workflow select the next snapshot to be copied?
      • Answer - usually the Backup Copy workflow will select the oldest Snapshot to process for the Backup Copy.
    • Does allow maximum jobs have a limit of how many jobs run at one time?
      • Answer - I believe the limit for simulataneous Backup Copy is restricted to 7

However in SP9, we have introduce "you can run multiple backup copy operations from the storage policy level in parallel"

The benefit:
    • The benefit of having parallel backup copy operations at storage level is that you can run backup copies of snapshot jobs of subclients that have new snapshots, if old snapshots are already copied with the previous backup copy workflow, while other subclients are still running the backup copy operations of the previous backup copy workflow.

For more details on the functionality of Backup Copy, please refer to the following Documentation - http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11739.htm

At the moment, if you do have a backlog of Snapshot on the Storage, I would recommend to run additional Backup Copy workflow, so you don't fall behind 

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy