Slow Throughputs for OneDrive/SharePoint Online

Last post 09-13-2018, 2:14 PM by tcottrell. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Slow Throughputs for OneDrive/SharePoint Online
    Posted: 09-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Hi,

I recently configured both OneDrive and SharePoint online. The CommServe is a VM hosted on premise and the Media Agent for all O365 jobs is an Azure VM pointing to Azure BLOB Storage as a target. 

There is about 8.5TB of OneDrive data and 600GB of SharePoint Online data. I have been getting very poor throughput on most jobs, ranging from .02GB/H to around 10GB/H. I've tried staggering out the jobs into several small subclients but am finding (with OneDrive in particular) that it is still taking a long time to get the first full backups of certain users' data completed. I understand that O365 jobs don't always run at the same speed as on prem jobs, but I have a couple of questions related to these throughputs:

1. Has anyone here experienced throughputs significantly better than this in a similar environment?

2. Are there any measures I can take to speed up the throughput?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Re: Slow Throughputs for OneDrive/SharePoint Online
    Posted: 09-13-2018, 1:57 PM

As far as I know Microsoft still limits bandwidth when connecting thru a single user session, commvault has found a quicker way for the mailbox via SMTP journaling, but for OneDrive and SharePoint I believe we are still out of luck.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
  • Re: Slow Throughputs for OneDrive/SharePoint Online
    Posted: 09-13-2018, 2:14 PM

I think the throughputs listed here are on par with others I have seen.

Service pack 13 which will be available soon has an enhancement which will help with throughput.  Keep an eye on that release which will help a great deal!

For SharePoint, adding additional service accounts can help avoiding the throttling that occurs: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=97484.htm

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy