Recover "Aged" Tapes

Last post 11-09-2018, 6:25 PM by Wwong. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Recover "Aged" Tapes
    Posted: 09-26-2018, 12:51 PM

So, I have a number of LTO-6 tapes that have a retention period showing older than the last write time on the tape.  As an example, a tape with a last write time of 8/1/2018 shows Retain Data Until 12/3/2016.  I'm relatively certain I know what this data is, and why it's marked the way it is, but I'm wondering why CommVault is essentially just sitting on the data and the tape.

My guess is that the data needs to be "aged" somehow, and I'm hoping there's a way to set the system up to do this automatically, so I can recover older tapes that no longer have required data on them.  I have no idea how to go about doing so though...

Any advice?

I'll note here that I've tried to "Pick for Refresh" and I get a message stating Media Refresh is disabled.

• Re: Recover "Aged" Tapes
    Posted: 09-26-2018, 2:19 PM

Regarding media refresh, can you check the storagy policy copy properties and ensure that this box is checked under the Media tab:

• Re: Recover "Aged" Tapes
    Posted: 11-09-2018, 6:25 PM

Hi Odi

With Tape Media retention, the Backup Jobs on Tape will follow the same method of calculation as Backup on Disk. If there are still backup on Tape, it might be associated to another cycle or required for another purpose. 

You can definitely delete the content of the Tapes (ensuring that you are 100% sure its not required), so the Media will be returned to the Tape Library as "Aged" (which is the same as scratch media). During the next Aux Copy/Backup to Tape, the "Aged" media will be selected and used. 

The above is the standard mechanism of Data Aging:

• Backup jobs that meet retention will be logically submitted to the CommServe DB
    • The references to the Job will be marked as aged. 
    • Once all the Backup Jobs on the Tape Media has met retention, the Tape will then be marked as "aged', returned to the Tape Library (if exported), and then re-use.

Note - even if there is one backup job on tape that hasn't met retention, the Tape Media will not be marked as "Aged".

It would be advisable to review the content on the Tape Media, and try to confirm from CommVault "Data Retention & Forecast" report to determine why Jobs are not aging. 

Hopefully that answers your question.

Thank you 

Winston 
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy