IntelliSnap on DB2 - howto restore ?

Last post 10-11-2018, 2:57 PM by pereirath. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • IntelliSnap on DB2 - howto restore ?
    Posted: 10-11-2018, 9:31 AM

Hi guys,

I'm facing an environment build on Vmware virtualization.
    within the Vmware Farm, there are VMs running DB2 databases on RDMs (mapped via FC to the server)

I asume, that this is a supported configuration for running IntelliSnap Backups.
    I'll have a physical host to handle the backup copy (hope that's an option).

But what about Restores ?

How is Restore processed in such an environment ? didn't find much to help me on BOL.

since snapshot backups will be created on a 4hrly schedule, but backup copy only once a day, I might end up in restoring from snapshot + replay of logs.

If snap revert is not an option like w/ DB2 multinode, do I have to mount the snapshots to the Proxy used for the backup copy ?
    (I asume, that CV is not able to mount the Snapshot into the VM via RDM)

Will the data than be send to the DB host via LAN ?
    Is this asumed to be faster, then restore from Disk + Log Replay ?
    (since the amount of logs to replay might be significantly smaller)

any hints welcome 

best regards
    Klaus

• Re: IntelliSnap on DB2 - howto restore ?
    Posted: 10-11-2018, 9:59 AM

Quote:

"By default, RDMs and independent disks are not included in IntelliSnap backup operations. To enable IntelliSnap backup operations for RDMs and independent disks, see Enabling IntelliSnap Backup Operations for RDM and Independent Disks.

Note: To include RDMs and independent disks in IntelliSnap backup operations, your VMware ESXi host must be version 5.5 or later using iSCSI or Fibre Channel hardware that supports N-Port ID Virtualization (NPIV).

When you protect RDMs and independent disks with VSA IntelliSnap backups, you can restore data as VMDKs on the restored VMs."

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp13/article?p=36444.htm

The RDM's are being handled differently then regular hardware snapshots, this might help understanding:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp13/article?p=36449.htm

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 10-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Hi Jos,

since I have to make consistent backups of the DB2 databases, that can be used for an "any point in time" restore, I wasn't thinking of using VSA to backup that data.
    Even if the data resides on VMDKs, the IntelliSnap Backup of the DB2 within the VM cannot be done by the Virtual Server Agent.

At least DB2 is not on the list of "AppAware" Applications.

Therefore I plan to use the DB2 database iDA inside the VM and create Snapshots on the pysical LUNs mapped into the VM as RDMs (same procedure as LUNs connected via iSCSI to the VM or a physical server)

the obsticle I face is, that Snapshots of that LUNs cannot be mapped into the VM, since RDMs are not setup by CV and iSCSI is not an option in that environment

Posted: 10-11-2018, 10:42 AM

Best option to make consistent backups and provide point in time as far as I can see:

• Backup: VM without RDM, Application via Agent
      Recovery: Recover the VM, provide a LUN to recreate the disk layout and restore the application data with the Agent to the LUN
      If only app data needs to be recovered your agent will do the trick.
    Other options are not application consistent.
    What is in your opinion the reason/additional value to make the LUN snapshot?

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM

I'm talking of DB2 databases which size exceeds 20TB.

creating streaming backups of such a database will take several hours.
    other if creating an IntelliSnap Backup of that application.

since multiple backups have to be created during the day, streaming backup is not an option w/ such a huge amount of data. Especially if not all recoverpoints have to be copied to disk or tape for longterm retention.

BackupCopy load can be done off-host on a proxy, so no additional load on the DB server for dedup hash calulation and compression

Posted: 10-11-2018, 11:04 AM

You could use intellisnap in the DB2 database agent:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp13/article?p=34088.htm

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM

sorry the original question was not clear enough ....

I was talking of using IntelliSnap w/ DB2 agent inside the VM to backup LANs mapped as RDMs.

so far, so good.

but how is the restore done ?
    in the SnapshotManagement section related to DB2 agent, I can't find any description of that process other then which parameter to check in the GUI.
    I don't find the description of how and from where data is transfered.
    nobody mentions how and where snapshots are mounted at all.

Posted: 10-11-2018, 1:08 PM

Take a look and see if this helps you.

Page 107 intellisnap and 147 Restore.

https://www.purestorage.com/content/dam/purestorage/pdf/whitepapers/intellisnap-field-guide-for-pure-storage.pdf

Posted: 10-11-2018, 2:46 PM

that is a great quick guide.

Thanks for providing the link 

Posted: 10-11-2018, 2:57 PM

Glad it helped. I`ve attached to this post for future reference.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy