How to enable micropruning (drilling of holes support) for migrated disk library ?

Last post 10-24-2018, 3:13 AM by Jos1982_NL. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to enable micropruning (drilling of holes support) for migrated disk library ?
    Posted: 10-23-2018, 4:16 AM

Hello,

I migrated  disk library (several mountpaths) on Linux MA from cluster file system to local XFS filesystem. Used standard move mounthpath operation (Commcell Console).

The original cluster filesystem does not support drilling of holes.

I know, that the XFS supports drilling of holes. When i create NEW disk library on XFS, the mountpath has the drilling holes feature enabled.

But when i check properties of mounthpaths of the migrated disklib, all of them have drilling holes feature disabled.

Is it possible to enable drilling on the migrated disk library ?

Thanks

Jiri

• Re: How to enable micropruning (drilling of holes support) for migrated disk library ?
    Posted: 10-23-2018, 7:45 AM

Spoken to a commvault support engineer, the advise from senior support is that they have recommend running a 'Reclaim idle space on Mount Paths with no drill hole apability' verification job. https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp12/article?p=12398.htm

Ensure the additional setting here is disabled from the MA:
    http://kb.commvault.com/article/DD0050

Have not received any possibility to activate hole drilling after moving a mount path.
    I also checked in the DB and have not yet found an option/attribute to activate hole drilling on the mount path.
    If I do find one I will let you know, that being said never change DB settings without consulting commvault support.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
  • Re: How to enable micropruning (drilling of holes support) for migrated disk library ?
    Posted: 10-24-2018, 2:48 AM

Interesting entries in log (SIDBPrune.log)

Original mount path: drilling switched off, becase it is unsupported

11584 7f34  10/23 10:58:22 ### Finalize:3261 Finalizing SI entries in chunk [5691839].
    11584 7f34  10/23 10:58:22 ### FinalizeSFile:3030 Switching off hole drilling on mount path [1] as it is not supported

Migrated mount path drilling switched off, because defragged (status/properties ?)

11584 148ed 10/23 11:35:42 ### Finalize:3261 Finalizing SI entries in chunk [2468829].
    11584 148ed 10/23 11:35:42 ### Finalize:3278 Switching off hole drilling on mount path [95] as it is a defragged mountpath

Jiri

Posted: 10-24-2018, 3:13 AM

Could be an effect created by the workflow as documentation states:

• Move mount path operation does not support drill hole capability when the source or destination MediaAgent is a Linux MediaAgent. If a mount path with drill hole capability is moved from a Linux MediaAgent, the mount path will consume more space after the move.
    Support page regarding workflow also states:
    • On Linux, sparse files are not supported.
    Regarding the mount path identifications, the logging is referring to mount path 1 and 95.
    Do you know which mount paths these are, are these both XFS?

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy