Laptop Backup Computername

Last post 11-06-2018, 9:55 AM by Jos1982_NL. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Laptop Backup Computername
    Posted: 10-29-2018, 4:04 PM

Hello,

I have about 800 laptops in my company and all these laptops I have to backup. These laptops are in different countries worldwide. My main problem is, if someone change the computername it will not changed in commvault. So it is difficult to find the laptop in the commcell after a user has changed the computername. To manually change the client- and hostname on the laptop and in the commcell as well is not a solution, because I cannot check every laptop if the name has been changed.

So it must be possible to make this automatically. So which solution has commvault in this case? Has commvault maybe a script to automate this? What is best practise for laptop name change?

Any solution would be appriciated!

• Re: Laptop Backup Computername
    Posted: 10-30-2018, 5:15 AM

I would place a control file on the laptop with the current hostname, make a startup script which retrieves current host name and validates if this has changed.

If changed connect to the commcell and alter hostname based on the different values.

When commcell changed the file with current hostname needs to be updated.

This will cause a lot of connections to the commserve, but will fix any hostname change.

One tip, encrypt the script so no one can retrieve the commcell user password easily.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 10-31-2018, 1:33 PM

Hello Jos! Thank you for your answer!

Maybe I have the same idea already and tried to fix the hostname change with powershell.

First I read the current computername from the laptop and compare it with the registry key SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\sPhysicalNodeName. Do you see any problems with this method? So if these values are different the script should change the commvault clientname and hostname from the laptop in the commcell. 

But how can I change the clientname and hostname in the commcell with a script which runs on the laptop? I tried it with simcallwrapper.exe, but I think this is only for registration.

I found nothing helpful in the documentation about this topic.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Posted: 11-06-2018, 9:55 AM

rba76:

First I read the current computername from the laptop and compare it with the registry key SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\sPhysicalNodeName. Do you see any problems with this method? So if these values are different the script should change the commvault clientname and hostname from the laptop in the commcell.

This should be fine, would advise to double check if this value in the registry is actually changed after a client name change in Commvault.

rba76:

But how can I change the clientname and hostname in the commcell with a script which runs on the laptop? I tried it with simcallwrapper.exe, but I think this is only for registration.

This should help:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7051.htm

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy