OnePass enabled - archive type backup question

Last post 11-12-2018, 12:49 PM by surosa. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • OnePass enabled - archive type backup question
    Posted: 10-31-2018, 10:08 AM

I'm new to the forum, but I felt like it wasn't worth creating a support ticket on.  I have a rather large windows system file system type backup.  B/c it's so large we opted to move it to the archive license teir.  Ultimately the long term goal for this server is to STUB the files to save space on this server.  Our original SE that helped us get it going enabled it on all the subclients, one thing we had to do with this client is b/c of the multiple mount points inside  a single drive letter, is split the subclients out to different directory's/ mount points.   

Example:

T:\Data - a single  subclient with filters on the mount point dirs inside data folder.

T:\data\network\ - another subclient for just this mount point

T:\data\shares\ - another subclient for just this mount point

We have about 10 of these additional subclients like this.  

We perform Friday VSF (Virtual Sythetic Fulls)  and incrementals daily on  all these subclients. 

That original T:\data subclient was taking so long to complete.  About 14 TB's of data, I took it upon myself to  split out even more directories with additional subclients to split the backup load and not have this one subclient be so large.  Also I was not having the backup job complete on time and was getting failures as well.  I think the process was just dying for some reason.  Limited resources on the server as well.  32 Bit OS with only 4 GB's of RAM.  We've also had to turn off VSS for all these subclients.  

My question is this, How often does the application size get updated on VSF backup's?  B/c one thing I'm noticing about this client is in the webconsole the total application size of this server went up, it was sitting around 44 TB's and now it's showing around 56 TB's.  I think this is b/c I split out the additional directories.  

The VSF backup has stayed the same size,  I'd expect it to drop in size b/c the other subclients should take away some of the FULL save.  

B/C we have Archive/1-pass turned on, on all these subclients I can't really re-run a FULL anymore.  I only get an option for INCR or VSF.  

Thanks for the read and I'm looking forward to an answer. 

V11 SP12 latest hotfixes till early October 2018.  

• Re: OnePass enabled - archive type backup question
    Posted: 10-31-2018, 10:30 AM

And yes, I have ensured that I added the additional filters to the original T:\data subclient.  I just re-checked to make sure they were all there.   We have 24 Subclients for this single drive letter T: 

Fun times ! 

Posted: 11-05-2018, 4:36 PM

Hello,

A Synthetic Full is expected to have a larger Size of the application. A few things might be here at play.

1. You may have multiple attempts on which may not be properly calculating the size of the application.

2. The check of Deleted Stub option may have never been run before.

Check the BOL on how to enable this option.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=25921.htm

Thank you

Santiago Urosa

Support Account Manager

Posted: 11-06-2018, 2:49 PM

Thank you for the reply, 

We currently do not do any file stubbing on these archive backups.  So I'm not sure I can enable the setting for "check of deleted Stub" option you refer too.  

We're using object based retention. 

You think I need to open a support ticket at this point ? I just thought It'd be a quick answer.  Maybe after the File Versions retention  passes it'll update the Application size.  I'll continue to monitor this and let you guys know once it updates.  I'm hoping it'll drop down in size.  

Posted: 11-08-2018, 4:40 PM

If you are not using the stubbing, the only way to decrease the size of the application is to disable Onepass and run a Full Backup.

Once the new full backup and incremental is completed, onepass can be re-enable and a new Synthetic Full will need to be performed.

Posted: 11-09-2018, 11:43 AM

surosa:

If you are not using the stubbing, the only way to decrease the size of the application is to disable Onepass and run a Full Backup.

Once the new full backup and incremental is completed, onepass can be re-enable and a new Synthetic Full will need to be performed.

Thank you for the reply.  That makes sense.  What will happen to the backup data that we already have?  I'd assume it won't go away. The licensing will kind of be messed up while the FULL is running.  I'd think we'd consume alot of "Backup" license while the FULL is running, after the FULL is complete I'd re-enable OnePass then it'll get thrown back into the "Archive" license.  

I'm going to get a support ticket open to make sure I perform this process correctly.  

Posted: 11-09-2018, 12:34 PM

I see that I should of posted this in the Archive Thread and not the Backup and Recovery Thread.  Any admins want to move it over there?  Sorry. 

Posted: 11-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Regarding the Data Aging question, we will follow the retention policy. The Full Backup or Synthetic Full will close the cycle.

Doing this changes will cause an increase in your capacity but it will decrease once you move over back to the archive.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy