Is there a way to easily backup failed databases that failed within a SQL subclient?

Last post 11-09-2018, 8:26 AM by farhan_IKO. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Is there a way to easily backup failed databases that failed within a SQL subclient?
    Posted: 11-05-2018, 2:09 PM

We have the hundreds of SQL servers. the DBAs need an easy way to resubmit or retry failed DBs that may occur on a nightly basis. If they right click on the job history and resubmit the job all the DBs within that subclient will backup again. We don't want that. The only way I can think of is to create another subclient with the failed DBs but that isn't manageable. Would be nice if there was an option to only backup the failed DBs on the resubmit action.

Ideas?

• Re: Is there a way to easily backup failed databases that failed within a SQL subclient?
    Posted: 11-05-2018, 3:31 PM

The only answer I can think of off the top of my head, which with that many SQL Servers is a bit nasty is to create a subclient for each DB.

Or as DB's fail to backup move them to their own subclient.

• Re: Is there a way to easily backup failed databases that failed within a SQL subclient?
    Posted: 11-05-2018, 4:12 PM

You are requesting to perform a backup for only failed DB's. 

We have a similar option for VSA Failed VM's.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=30846.htm

Let us know if this is what you are attempting to do with the SQL backups, we might be able to create an MR.

Posted: 11-05-2018, 5:16 PM

Thank you! That is exactly what I want! Don't see similar options given the SQL subclient.

Posted: 11-06-2018, 3:48 AM

That option does not exist yet, you will need to raise a customer request for that.

Please note that these requests are being handled based on priority assigned by development and you will not receive feedback on the estimated development time.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-07-2018, 2:22 PM

Thank you all!! Will submit feature request

Posted: 11-08-2018, 6:05 PM

So I discovered this

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=18300.htm

I tested it and this workaround will work just fine! This way they can just pick the failed DB and back it up. Will also handle restores right within the SQL Mgmt Studio.

Posted: 11-09-2018, 3:42 AM

This is a nice solution :)
    Good find!

But when you manage a large environment you will have to perform a lot of manual actions if jobs partially fail. Wish they would provide a single pane of glass solution.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-09-2018, 8:26 AM

this indeed is a very good find and i can deff see value for our DBs.

thank you

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy