Advice On Fast Restore Option

Last post 11-10-2018, 1:20 PM by Sunil Telagamsetti. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Advice On Fast Restore Option
    Posted: 11-05-2018, 2:59 PM

Hello Community!

I am looking for some advice. I recently took over our Commvault environment as part of a new role. I don't have a whole lot of experience using CV so forgive me for any silly questions. 

We recently started backing up our SAP HANA server (physical Dell R930) I would like to test and document the restore procedure of the database. So, I was able to successfully restore the system db (8gb)  but that took an hour. OUCH! I am now trying to test restore the tenant db which it close to 100 gb and is failes after 11 hours. I thnk we are making progress with completing the restore but as you can image in a production environment an 11 hour restore could mean a cost to the business and bruise to my reputation. Friends, I would like you advice / input on any ideas to configure faster recovery points. What are you all doing in your environment to make critical restores happen fast? 

• Re: Advice On Fast Restore Option
    Posted: 11-10-2018, 1:20 PM

Hello Phillip,

11 hours for restoration of 100 GB database doesn't sound reasonable. Can you please let us know your backup strategy? How are your full backups and delta backups scheduled?

What are the parallel backint backup channels used during backup? Restores typically use the same number of channels used during backup.

But unfortunately HANA considers parallel backint channels if the backup size is over 128 GB. We need to see if there are any recent changes on that.

You can also consider using IntelliSnap for faster recovery options.

Thanks,

Sunil-

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy