Tape Library Grouping

Last post 11-09-2018, 3:04 PM by JCutter03. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tape Library Grouping
    Posted: 11-06-2018, 12:00 PM

Hey everyone we are setting up our new environment and we are trying to setup our tape backups correctly and I had a quick question that is probably very easy to answer, I just hope its the answer I'm looking for.

We have 4 1x8 G2 Autoloader LTO6 HP Tape libraries that has 1 drive per library. 

We are moving from a NetBackup environment where you could group tape libraries and point your backups to that grouping. I can't find for the life of me where to do this in Commvault. When I setup a storage policy and choose Create Copy it only shows each robot individually. For obvious reasons I want to create groups of libraries so it would just choose whatever library is available.

Please, please, please tell me this is an option in Commvault or hopefully someone has some insight into other options to circumvent this issue.

Thanks!

• Re: Tape Library Grouping
    Posted: 11-07-2018, 2:20 AM

The storage policy copy has a library assigned, not a group of libraries.
    Within the library there is a grouping of drives.
    Never seen any additional grouping options unfortunately.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 3:29 PM

Hi JCutter03

As you have configured 4 separate Tape Library, rather then going down the pathway of doing Tape Library Grouping, you can add the 4 Tape Library as Data Path, and in the Data Path Configuration, use the option "When Resources are Busy" - When enabled, this option indicates that an alternate data path must be used when the all the drives in the library attached to the preferred MediaAgent are busy

By doing so, the Backup will utilize any of the 4 Tape Library depending on resource and utilization. 

The downside of this setup, is that Backup will be written all across the 4 Tape Library, making it slightly more difficult to manage, as different rules for export, when doing a resotre a tape might be offsite (potentially delaying the process of restore)

Not too sure if this will achieve what you are looking for, but hopefully this helps

Thank you 

Winston

Posted: 11-09-2018, 3:34 AM

Didn't think of that solution yet, good one Winston!

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-09-2018, 3:04 PM

I think that is exactly what I would need Winston! Thank you very much!!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy