VMWare backups from Datastore

Last post 11-14-2018, 5:13 PM by Boberic. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VMWare backups from Datastore
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Hi all,

I just want to know if it is more efficient to backup the VMs from VMWare out of Datastore instead of normal vm folders?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: VMWare backups from Datastore
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 3:48 PM

Hi farhan_IKO

There are obvious different advantages here, when backing up at the DataStore level, the DataStore could have multiple VM's, whereas when backing up at an invidual VM level, this will not be across all the VM's that could reside in the datastore. 

There will be different use cases, but have a read of the following documentation to assist you

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=30784.htm

Thank you 

Winston

Posted: 11-09-2018, 7:47 AM

Hi Winston,

I am familiar with vm level selection, what i wanted to ask is. what is the difference of running a VM backup against a Datastore vs running it against a Folder.  Given that everything under the Datastore gets backed up from similar host setup, whereas the folder could have VMs scattered on different hosts and datastores.

Is there a benefit to narrow down the backups from same datastore or even host level?

Will it impact on backup speed?

Posted: 11-12-2018, 1:14 PM

Hello,

Hopefully, this helps clarify the question.

Backing up the subclient by the datastore is usually faster  than a folder as the VM's may be located in different ESXi Host, Clusters or Datastores causing the transport mode to change drop from SAN / HotAdd to NBD if set to auto.

The negative of having a the subclient defined by the datastore is the VM's may be moved out of the DataStore and may not be protected if not defined by another subclient such as the  "Default".

Below is the BOL link that goes over the dispatch on how the VM's are protected and order of checks.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=32272.htm

Please let us know if you have any additional question.

Thank you

Santiago Urosa

Posted: 11-12-2018, 2:42 PM

Thank  you for the clarification, i was under the same impression but was wondering if i am alone in it.   Appreciate you jumping in and for the clarification.

Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:13 PM

I think what got left out of this is the reason to backup by datastore is so you don't have too many backups sucking data off the same set of disks at a time.  

If you've got a storage array where all your datastores are on the same set of disks it woudn't matter, but if you have one datastore per storage group you could control how many simultaneous backups run on that collection of disks.  For instance, you may find that performance for running applications degrades beyond acceptable levels if more than 5 backups are running at the same number.

I made that number 5 up but I hope you get the point.  

Similarly, you might want to instead backup by host to avoid overloading a host.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy