CloudLibrary Recovery?

Last post 11-08-2018, 4:19 PM by tbrown. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CloudLibrary Recovery?
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 2:59 PM

Just curious...  Let's say I set up a cloud based disk library in Commvault as a test, ran a few backups to it, then deleted the disk library, leaving the data still on the cloud storage service.  Is there a way to re-set up that library and point it to the same container/bucket it was pointed to before, and be able to see the data that was in there?  I just tried to re-create the disk library and pointed it at the same location, and the data that was there, while it shows up online, does not show up in the Commvault GUI.  I'm wondering if there is a way to run a discover of some sort to read what's on that container and re-import that information back to Commvault?  I don't see any way to do that at first glance...  Thanks!

PS.  This isn't any critical data that I need back by the way, I'm just trying to look for a way to remove the data that is on there.  The user I've got set up is the backup user and has permissions to read and write the data, but it's not an admin user where I can create or delete containers.  This is an OracleCloud container.

• Re: CloudLibrary Recovery?
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 3:19 PM

Hi tbrown

In regards to the way CommVault is associated to a Disk/Cloud Library there is two ways:

• Un-Deduped Data
    • Deduped Data

Once Backup data is written to a Disk/Cloud Library, an association is tied to the Disk/Cloud Library. CommVault will not remove the Disk/Library unless all the underlying blocks are first removed from the CommServe DB then a Aging Process is triggered (referred to as Data Aging). 

Data Aging is the logical dis-association from the CommServe Level (after doing manual remove of backup  jobs) , on a default basis we will then send a reuqest to physically prune the data from the Disk/Library. 

So following the logic of removing data from Disk/LIbrary, as the references are removed from the CommServe DB, their will be no way to recover or re-reference. However here are some possible options:

• If the Backup jobs is still retained in the CommServe, you can try to "un-age" (assuming that it is not physically removed from the Disk/Cloud Library)
    • CommServe Restore to a point in time before the Data Aging was issued (this will also be a last resort, as you might be able to go back in time, but will lost the delta backup between the time of the CommServe DR Backup and the time when you plan to do so).

The following are example scenario, and every environment is different and unique. 

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston 
  • Re: CloudLibrary Recovery?
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 4:19 PM

Actually, yes, that does help because that kind of jogged my memory.  This was done a long time ago and I'm just now coming back and thinking about this again.  So, if I remember correctly, I did delete the job that went to it, and right clicked on it and told it to delete contents before I deleted the library.  So, whatever is left there must just be the underlying directory structure rather than any actual data.  Ok, if that's the case, then I need to go about getting rid of the data another way, which will probably include asking for admin privileges to the cloud account from management to get that directory structure removed from the container so I can delete the old container.  Just trying to clean things up and don't like leaving old junk around.  Thanks for the help!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy