View RMAN Log Permission

Last post 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM by farhan_IKO. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • View RMAN Log Permission
    Posted: 11-12-2018, 2:52 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to give my DBAs an access to view RMAN log from the completed jobs (in job history) on Arch Log backups for Oracle.  Even though the BROWSE (under client) is given to this security group, they still cannot access the RMAN Logs.  I am not sure what permission to grant this group to be able to see the logs/rman logs.

error below:

• Re: View RMAN Log Permission
    Posted: 11-12-2018, 4:58 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-21-2019, 3:04 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

From a GUI perspective, I'm not sure what permissions you need, but also be aware that the actual RMAN logs are stored on the clients, and can be accessed directly from there as well.

The directory structure where the logs can be found would be as follows:

/opt/commvault/iDataAgent/jobResults/CV_JobResults/2/0/<Job ID>

Where <Job ID> is the actual job ID from the backup history.  Under that directory you will find either a "backup.out" file or a "restore.out" file depending if a backup or restore was performed.  This is the actual file that gets accessed by the GUI when looking at the job from backup history.

Note that "/opt/commvault" may differ based on what OEM platform was installed so think of those first two directories as the "install path".

Let us know if this helps simplify things.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:41 AM

I think you need "agent management" rights.

unfortunatly this is originally intended to be used for enable/disable activity and modify subclients

I had some findings with required rights myself in the past. Only way to find out what is missing, if no mentioned in any of the logs, is granting mostly all permissions and than slowly reduce the set of rights in the role you intend to use ....

good look

Posted: 11-14-2018, 9:42 AM

This for the message John, i tried it and it is still not working for the user. :(

Posted: 11-14-2018, 2:45 PM

Hi, 

To view the RMAN logs, Browse permission is the only required/mandated permission. 

In our lab, Disabling the browse permission to the user - restricts the view RMAN logs capability.

Enabling it allows the user to view logs. Additionaly, agent management/adminstrative management permissions do not have an influence on the View RMAN log capability.

Please open a Support TR, we will investigate the issue.

Best Regards,

Bhargavi Ravula

Posted: 11-15-2018, 7:34 AM

I have opened a ticket with CV support, going to further look into this issue. 

In the mean time i have created myself a test account under same circumstances as the user and encountering same issue.  Interesting fact is that I can view the normal logs of the job but cannot view the RMAN logs.

Posted: 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM

update:  so we figured that all the OS Nodes where those DBs resides need to have same permission (client-browse) as the databases.  once that was allocated the permissions worked as intended.

Thanks everyone for the help and guidance.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy