Upgrading Current Media Agent with Hyper scales

Last post 11-13-2018, 4:25 AM by Jos1982_NL. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Upgrading Current Media Agent with Hyper scales
    Posted: 10-30-2018, 4:21 AM
    Hi

Need some advise.

We are planing to replace our current Windows Meida Agent and disk libary with Commvault Hypersacles.

I was wondering how to migrate data from our current disk libary to Hyperscales or change the retation and aged off to the tapes

Thanks
    Alok
  • Re: Upgrading Current Media Agent with Hyper scales
    Posted: 10-30-2018, 5:17 AM

I would suggest creating a new storage policy copy based on the hyperscale setup and aux copy the data.

If this is a tape only environment, check if your hyperscale has an additional HBA so you can connect the tape library to one of the servers. Then reconfigure so the tape library is pointing to the hyperscale node which the tapelibrary is connected.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-08-2018, 4:23 AM

Hi Alok

Is this a HyperScale Appliance or a Reference Architecture.

I do agree with Josh's approach, in creating Secondary Copy for Aux Copy purpose and migrate the data across, and once Aux Copy is complete, change the Primary relationship to point to the HyperScale Nodes. 

Also depending on the retention period (assuming that it is not infinite), you can do a cut-over where your backup will write (and baseline on the HyperScale Node), while the old Backup ages off the Windows MediaAgent.

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston

Posted: 11-12-2018, 9:12 PM
    Thanks, Jos and Winston

I am still a bit unclear.

Could you please advise on my Current setup is like this.

Onside Disk Library connected to windows media agent will be replaced with Hyper scales appliance.

My new hyper scales will be connected to my tape library

I thinking to create 3 new storage policies same as below ABC storage policy, referring to the new hyper scales

On the current synchronous policy, copies change the destination from tape to New Hyper scales and change retention period for a week.

Once data is copied over to new hyper scales The data aged off to the tapes -not sure how it will happen

6 Storage policy

ABC storage policy

Primary - 14 Days 2 cycle to the onside Disk library
    Selective - end of the month to tapes
    synchronous - 28 days 4 cycle to tapes

CDE

FGH

IJK

Primary - 14 Days 2 cycle to Hyper scales library
    synchronous-DASH Copy -14 days 2 cycle, Current offside Hyper-scale library to onside Disk library
    Selective - end of month onside Disk library to tapes
    synchronous - 28 days 4 cycle Disk onside disk library to tapes

ELM

synchronous-DASH Copy -14 days 2 cycle, Current offside Hyper-scale library to onside Disk library
    Selective - end of month onside Disk library to tapes
    synchronous - 28 days 4 cycle Disk onside Disk library to tapes

NOP

synchronous - 28 days 4 cycle onside Disk library to tapes
    Thanks
    Alok
    Posted: 11-13-2018, 4:25 AM

Hi Alok,

In this example you want to create new storage policies, but you cannot aux copy data between storage policies. Not clear what you are trying to achieve with this setup, if it is to fase out the current storage policies then my question would be why as this only provides more work with the same result. Unless you want to re-design the data type spreading over policies, but looking at your example this is not the case.

My advice would be something like this:

ABC storage policy

(Add copy) Secondary -14 Days 2 cycle on Hyperscale

CDE

FGH
    1. Create new Global DDB on hyperscale
    2. Add the Secondary copies to existing storage policies, based on hyperscale DDB
    2. Aux copy all data from primary to secondary copy
    3. Make secondary the new primary copy
    4. Delete/Disable old primary
    5. Delete/Disable old DDB config
    This way you will have a new DDB and disktarget on your hyperscale based on needed retentions.
    No double tape usage as these are assigned per storage policy.
    And you do not have to change anything other then storage policy configurations.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy