Software Downloader needs elevation ?

Last post 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM by deb. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Software Downloader needs elevation ?
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 4:55 AM

Hi guys,

I'm working in a kind of restricted environment.

That means
     - no internet connectivity for the CommServe(s)
     - per default no Admin reights to desktop users on standard workstations

Downloading Software (and this includes Service Packs) now requires either Adminstrator Rights granted to the user running the setup.exe (for downloading software on a workstation) or to run setup.exe in elevated mode (as administrator), which requires special processes to be triggered that request and admit this to the workstations user.

Why is it not possible to create a downloader application that can be used w/o elevated rights ?
    I don't want to install the software to the workstation, but simply download it there to be transfered to its final destination .....

regards
    Klaus

this the german warning pointing that elevated rights are required .......

after restarting setup.exe as administrator the download completed (only applies to windows downloads)

Warning: Failed to launch: "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\Commvault\installer\cv7z.exe" x "C:\CV11SP13\CV11SP13_WinX64\BinaryPayload\LooseUpdates\PatchInstaller.exe" -o"C:\CV11SP13\CV11SP13_WinX64\BinaryPayload\LooseUpdates" -y with error Der angeforderte Vorgang erfordert erhöhte Rechte

• Re: Software Downloader needs elevation ?
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:01 AM

I am assuming this is due to the active path where you download/extract the patches:

C:\CV11SP13

Here a user does not have write rights by default as it is outside of the userprofile.
    This is not a limitation of the downloader, but of the OS/File System

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:06 AM

Hi Jos,

I can download ALL files, so it has not to do with regular write permissions.
    But I'm not allowed to unpack the downloaded Hotfixes using the ...\installer\cv7z.exe

do you think this download will complete w/o elevation if my download folder is beneath my profile folders ? (like c:\users\me\Downloads\CV11SP13) ?

and I was wrong. Linux SP13 download doesn't complete successful as well :(

Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:13 AM

I would say that if all actions are performed within the profile it should work.

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:19 AM

Nope.

just tried the download of Linux SP13 to C:\Users\me\Downloads\CV11SP13

same result.

I have to execute setup.exe as administrator to complete the SW download

Posted: 11-14-2018, 5:23 AM

Mmz... interesting. Will check if I can reproduce with a restricted user.

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 6:27 AM

Tested here on 2012 R2 with default restricted user and get UAC pop-up's, so this is OS restriction as far as I can see.

Interesting that when I run 7-zip and then extract the package, no UAC occurs as this is no executable and it's a registered application, but the extract location does not have write rights and still allows me to extract to it, it even specifies special permissions for the restricted user on the newly extracted folder.

Anyhow drifting offtopic, if an application is blocked for elevated rights then it is a UAC restriction as far as I can see.

Jos Meijer
    Posted: 11-14-2018, 7:10 AM

I agree, that this is an UAC issue.
    And that is exactly what "program needs elevation" points to.

but why is the Commvault Downloader built in a way that this issue pops up ?

all packages are downloaded from a flat file structure fileserve (besides the SQL database installation binaries, where I don't remember this issue).

Only latest Hotfixes seem to be downloaded as package and extracted to filesystem hieracy using a commvault binary to extract the content.

Posted: 11-17-2018, 1:00 PM

Commvault Download manager is designed to work when run as a non administrative user when UAC is enabled. Administrative privilages are only required when you are actually installing the software and not for downloading. 

Can you please provide the following detials?

1. Where did you download the download manager?

2. Full Install.log 

Thanks,

Praveen

Posted: 11-21-2018, 3:20 AM

Hi Praveen,

I'll open a case and supply the logs.

The download manager has been downloaded from 

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/130/655/9524

which seems to be the official source.

regards
    Klaus

Posted: 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Realize this is a little old, but am having the same issue.  Trying to download SP15 from the ma site.  Does not matter whether it is Windows or Linux download.  The download works fine, until it gets to downloading the hotfixes.

Do not recall having to run as an admin user even as recent as downloading SP14

Would just like to know if this is the way it is supposed to be. 

Am using the same computer as I have in the past for the download.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy