Questions about the Storage Information Report / Media Information Report

Last post 11-21-2018, 1:44 PM by Jos1982_NL. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Questions about the Storage Information Report / Media Information Report
    Posted: 11-20-2018, 12:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about the Storage Information Report / Media Information Report.

Some entries are bolded while others are not.  I can't find anything in the CommVault online documentation that explains what the bolding is but it appears to indicate tapes that have either Read/Write errors or Media Label errors. 

Question 1:  Am I correct that a bolded entry indicates a tape that's had either read-write or media label errors?

Question 2:  A read-write error is self explanatory.  What is a "Media Label" error?

Question 3:  Some tapes appear as "Retired Media".  Is there a process for dealing with these so that CommVault knows they are removed, destroyed and are not coming back?

Question 4:  Some tapes have media information like this:

Writes: 14, Reads: 0, Mounts: 17, Read_Write_Errors: 0, Media_Label_Errors: 3, Reuses: 10, Discovered: 03/19/2014 14:08:48

But others have media information like this:

Writes/Reads/Lifetime: 21/0/5000, Read-Write_Errors/Lifetime: 0/5, Media_Label_Errors/Lifetime: 5/5, Reuses/Lifetime: 17/260, Discovered/Lifetime: 02/16/2014 10:35:03 /360 Months

Can anyone explain why there is a difference?

Thanks

Ken

• Re: Questions about the Storage Information Report / Media Information Report
    Posted: 11-21-2018, 4:55 AM

1. not sure

2. Media label refers to an identification of the tape, if an error occurs it cannot be identified properly. This is often seen when a library firmware has been updated. Labels need to be corrected in order to identify the correct tape.

3. Within media management there are thresholds set looking at options below, when this applies the tape is marked as retired:

Media Retirement Thresholds

• No. of Read, Write Errors

Displays the number of read, write errors that are allowed while writing to or reading from media before the media is marked as Bad.

• No. of Years

Displays the length of time that the media can remain in use before it is marked as Deprecated.

• No. of Reuses

Displays the number of times that the media can be recycled before it is marked as Deprecated.

• No. of Media Label Errors

Displays the number of errors that are allowed while writing the media label before the media is marked as Bad.

4. Not sure

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 11-21-2018, 1:25 PM

Regarding my question:  Some tapes appear as "Retired Media".  Is there a process for dealing with these so that CommVault knows they are removed, destroyed and are not coming back?

I think I'll:

1. Export the tape
    2. Arrange for physical destruction
    3. Delete the tape within CommVault so it no longer appears in any of the reports

Ken

Posted: 11-21-2018, 1:44 PM

Hi Ken,

My apologies, I misread question 4.

I would also follow your steps, export, destroy and delete.

If you don't delete the tape will remain visible for reports.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy