NDMP over Fiber Channel?

Last post 01-21-2011, 4:30 PM by JeremyC. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • NDMP over Fiber Channel?
    Posted: 01-18-2011, 6:43 PM

Apologies if this is addressed somewhere, but I was unable to find any references beyond having the tape libraries also attached via FC. I'd also like to apologize if this is a stupid question; I'm not that well versed with the capabilities of the NDMP protocols.

We have a 4 drive LTO4 tape vault that is directly connected to our Commserve via SAS.  Presently, we are using NDMP over Ethernet to backup our Netapp Filer to tape, and while it works well enough, we occasionally have some throughput issues if the filer becomes busy or if there's a lot of traffic on our switch fabric.

We are in the process of bringing a fiber channel SAN live with the netapp filer acting as the storage head. We are also looking at installing a fiber channel HBA on the next  iteration of server hardware for our commserve, and locating the spool disk on the san to eliminate the Direct attached storage we currently use as a spool disk for our remote server backups. Budgetary limitations limit us to updating the server hardware and not replacing the SAS drives on the tape vault with FC drives, otherwise I wouldn't be posting. :)

It is possible for us to backup our netapp filer using NDMP across the faster FC connection, or it is limited to ethernet and IP networks only?

Thanks!

• Re: NDMP over Fiber Channel?
    Posted: 01-18-2011, 9:10 PM

Yes, you can backup NDMP via SAN but you need to connect the tape drive directly to a FC port on the NetApp.  The trick is that the library controller (robot) needs to be connected to a MediaAgent, so you need to split the zoning.  eg: zone the tape drive to NetApp and the library controller to the MediaAgent.

You then need to perform a special operation in the Library & Drive Config section of the CommCell to detect an "NDMP Library".

Posted: 01-19-2011, 9:47 AM

Have I mis-read or misunderstood yuor reply?

Because we have Qauntum (nee ADIC) i2000 Scalars (6 LTO4 per lib) and we backup NDMP to them, but they are not patched directly to the Media Agents - the Library controller is zoned and that's it.

So the MA, and the NAS head, and the Library are all members of the same VSAN/zone, but none are directly connected to each other. Works like a charm.

Hope that helps

EDIT

Ignore it, I didn't see the part about the drives being SAS. 

Posted: 01-20-2011, 12:09 AM

Actually, I just saw the SAS reference also, so no, it is not possible.

Posted: 01-21-2011, 4:12 PM

You can run netapp NDMP over fiber, to a zoned fiber attached tape drive, (if you can address the drive from your netapp controller).  So no, not to the SAS drives attached to your commserv but yes to fiber attached drives attached or zoned to your netapp.

Posted: 01-21-2011, 4:30 PM

All:

Thanks for the information.

As it turns out, we are in the process of provisioning our netapp filers with 10Gb Ethernet cards, so the throughput issue will go away when we build out the new media agent server.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy