Corrupted update to media agent for v11 SP13?

Last post 11-22-2018, 11:51 PM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Corrupted update to media agent for v11 SP13?
    Posted: 11-22-2018, 3:34 PM

I've pushed out v11 SP13 update from my Commcell console which is already on v11 SP13. However, after waiting for an hour, it eventually timed out and the CentOS 7 media agent services no longer start.

[root@commagent Log_Files]# simpana start
    Redirecting starting service for Instance001 to systemd ...
    Running "systemctl start commvault.Instance001.service" ...
    Job for commvault.Instance001.service failed because a configured resource limit was exceeded. See "systemctl status commvault.Instance001.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

[root@commagent Log_Files]# systemctl status commvault.Instance001.service
    ● commvault.Instance001.service - commvault Service
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/commvault.Instance001.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: resources)

Nov 21 23:28:07 commagent systemd[1]: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
    Nov 21 23:28:07 commagent systemd[1]: commvault.Instance001.service failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
    Nov 21 23:28:07 commagent systemd[1]: Failed to start commvault Service.
    Nov 21 23:28:07 commagent systemd[1]: commvault.Instance001.service failed.
    Nov 21 23:28:07 commagent systemd[1]: Starting commvault Service...
    Nov 22 13:16:58 commagent systemd[1]: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
    Nov 22 13:16:58 commagent systemd[1]: commvault.Instance001.service failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
    Nov 22 13:16:58 commagent systemd[1]: Failed to start commvault Service.
    Nov 22 13:16:58 commagent systemd[1]: commvault.Instance001.service failed.
    Nov 22 13:16:58 commagent systemd[1]: Starting commvault Service...

I've been searching for the root cause but can't find anything. Have anyone encounter this issue? I wish they output what 'resource limit' was exceeded...

Thanks,

• Re: Corrupted update to media agent for v11 SP13?
    Posted: 11-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Hi acpp

From the overview of the service status, the partial push upgrade could of resulted in MediaAgent Binary corruption. In this instance, a full un-install and re-install of the software would be recommended. 

You can also try to download the packages (custom packages) and do a local repair or re-install to rectify the issue. 

If you are looking for an RCA, I would recommend copying out all the existing logs, whether it is CommVault or Linux logs, so further analysis can be done to determine the reason of the faulted CommVault Service. 

The above steps should help to get you back online, but I do recommend opening a Support Ticket to investigate this further.

Thank you 

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy