Exchange 2010 Backups - moving mailboxes and circular logging

Last post 01-24-2011, 6:27 PM by sssstew. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Exchange 2010 Backups - moving mailboxes and circular logging
    Posted: 01-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Hi All

Just a quick confirmation needed on this one, im shortly going to be moving several hundred gigs worth of mailboxes between our old exchange 2003 and our new exchange 2010 environment, no im going to enable circular logging on the databases in the Exchange Management Console before i start the move so as to not run out of log drive space, but will doing this break the backup chain for CV, will i need to do a new full afterwards?

Cheers

• Re: Exchange 2010 Backups - moving mailboxes and circular logging
    Posted: 01-19-2011, 1:18 AM
    Unfortunately enabling circular logging will cause the database backups to fail.
    CommVault Messaging Support
    Posted: 01-19-2011, 1:23 AM

so whats the best approach here?

Posted: 01-19-2011, 8:01 AM

The best approach would be to disable circular logging and run more frequent incremental backups to truncate the log files and keep them under control.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-19-2011, 5:31 PM

yeah i know what you mean there.  Or i just enable circular logging, move it all then re-enable logging and run a full manually to get me back on track im thinking...

Posted: 01-19-2011, 5:43 PM

the only problem with that is that we would not be able to run backups at any time during the move since you have circular logging enabled.  but that is up to you.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Are the mailbox stores on a SAN?  Can you do a snapshot before you move the mailboxes so you have a fallback option?  I would think your plan of doing circular logging, moving the mailboxes, re-enable logging, and then run a full backup would work.  Do you have any archiving products (Commvault, Nearpoint, etc) that would require you not to use circular logging?

Posted: 01-20-2011, 7:04 PM

Hmm yes we are SAN based, will look at my options around this.

We do use CV email archiver but not aware that i cannot use circular logging with that?

Posted: 01-21-2011, 7:05 AM

Exchange Mailbox Archiver has no impact on transaction logs, so that wouldn't help you in this case.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 01-23-2011, 9:46 PM

ok cool.

It looks like we might not be able to move mailboxes fast enough anyway so might just leave it as enabled and if it comes to it manually run a incremental backup.

thanks all for your comments.

Posted: 01-24-2011, 12:54 PM

When we move mailboxes we do turn cirular logging on during the move, and then turn it off after the moves are complete and before our next backup runs. We have not had an issues (knock on wood) doing that in our previous migration, and one we are currently doing on a newly aquired division.

Posted: 01-24-2011, 6:27 PM

cool, thanks for the confirmation srnovak.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy