GUI Frustrations

Last post 02-01-2019, 2:02 PM by Scottly. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • GUI Frustrations
    Posted: 11-27-2018, 2:49 PM

Is anyone else as frustrated/annoyed as I am with how
    many of the sections/tabs of the CommCell Browser behave?

Over the 15+ years with Commvault (Galaxy, QiNetix, Simpana, Commvault, we started with version 3) I've requested improvements in 'useability'. I remember a couple of them were fixed around version 5 or 6 but went back to the prevous behaviour in the next version.

Typical Example: "Media in Library" tab. I sort by Storage Policy, eliminate the "Container" column and "Auto Resize All Columns". When I select tapes to export the "Export Media" dialog box appears. After I enter the "New Outside Storage Location:" and click "OK" the underlying "Media in Library" pane reverts back to the default as if I've just opened the GUI. I have to repeat the process of sorting, remove "Container" column, and " 'auto' resize all columns". Why can't there be a way to save the layout I set?

Another Example: We have thousands of entries in our "Locations" list/DB. If I select the "Location:" dropdown I get a whopping 4 lines displayed with no way to expand the view such as is allowed in other parts of the GUI (ie selecting 'custom' with the 'Filters' are turned on.

• Re: GUI Frustrations
    Posted: 11-27-2018, 4:15 PM

Hi,

There is an option on the table menu called "Save table layout". After you pick this the current settings will be used every time that table is shown.

Posted: 11-27-2018, 4:27 PM

Table Menu?

I do not see anything called the 'Table Menu'.

Posted: 11-27-2018, 6:13 PM

It's the icon on the top right corner of the table. where you select columns

Posted: 11-27-2018, 6:48 PM

Sorry, no "Tables" here...

Attachment: CV Tables.jpg
    Posted: 11-28-2018, 1:00 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Is it possible you're using a locally installed GUI that doesn't have the latest SP applied or are you accessing the console using Web GUI?

I've got one of my labs with SP12 running and I see this option though I'm pretty sure this has been around in v11 for some time

Posted: 11-28-2018, 1:32 PM

Web GUI. I'm on SP11. I'll update it to SP13 right now and see what I get.

Posted: 11-28-2018, 2:53 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Sorry forgot to mention, this has to be enabled in Control Panel --> User Preference for it

Posted: 11-28-2018, 2:54 PM
    yes, the save table layout feature was introduced in sp12.
    Also the other issue you mentioned in the custom filter that it show only 4 entries is because it only shows unique entries. Can you try the custom filter on barcode and see that you will be able to expand the dialog.
    Posted: 11-28-2018, 3:39 PM

BINGO!

That worked. I feel like Christmas has come early. Thanks!
    (BTW, the 'Save Table Preferences' box was checked when I pulled up my User Preferences.

As far as the dropdown is concerned, it's not on the filters where it's 'broken'.  The dropdown is expandable in the filters.

It's the Location field dropdown on the Media Properties diaglog that's only 4 lines high and not expandable.

Attachment: Media Properties.jpg
    Posted: 11-28-2018, 9:51 PM

ok, i will get this fixed and it will be in the next service pack.

Posted: 12-18-2018, 10:30 PM

I goto //comcell/console    then load the gui.  I do not have this save table layout feature.  My job controller is always reverting or having columns dissappear.  Will this feature help? I'm on sp13

Posted: 12-19-2018, 11:08 AM
    Hi,

Save table layout menu option is not a part of Job controller. The job controller will save the the current selected columns implicitly when ever we exit the GUI application or can explicitly save by pressing the Save User preference button present as a part of the status bar. But in order to have the above action to be invoked please ensure that the Control panel option User Preferences General tab SaveTablePreferences is checked. Even if we rearrange the columns and then close only the Job controller view and then after reopening also preserve the last column selection.

Thanks,
    Anil.
    Posted: 02-01-2019, 2:02 PM

I have a couple of GUI enhancement/suggestions/requests

1. When setting custom filters on the Location Column on the Exported Meda page, is it possible to add "contains", "doesn't contain" as there is in the Storage Policy/Copy column?

-------------------------------------------------------
    The "Save table layout" is GREAT and a huge timesaver for me, but it doesn't always 'stick' from one session/login to another.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Can it be modified so that multiple items can be selected in the Location pane? I have several hundred entries with no media related. It would take me hours to select and delete them one at a time.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy