AWS power management

Last post 12-04-2018, 4:59 PM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • AWS power management
    Posted: 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM

Hello Team,

I am working on setting up a couple of EC2 instances, one to perform a tertiary copy to glacier, and one as a DR CommServe to do CVFailover operations on.  Couple of questions come from this;

1. The EC2 instance for tertiary copy seems to work and will be powered on during aux copy operation, but when it tries to shut if down after the process, it gets the following error:

Failed to perform Power OFF operation for Cloud Virtual Machine [lw00awsbak001]. Reason - Indexing service running on the MediaAgent..

However, I can go to media agents and right-click all tasks > power off and it powers down with no issues.

2. If we configure the cvfailover process, will the power management turn on and off the EC2 instance at every restore?  Will there be any additional settings that will need to be set to perform this?

Thank in advanced!

John

• Re: AWS power management
    Posted: 12-04-2018, 3:17 AM

Hi John 

In regards to Cloud Power Management, although their might not be other Backup/Aux Copy operations running on the backend for that specific MediaAgent, however Index Process (as part of on-going Backup (Synthetic) or restore) could potentially result in the MediaAgent not going offline properly. 

With Cloud Power Management, it is a relatively new feature in CommVault, and if you are seeking for additional confirmation for the above behaviour, i would recommend opening a Support Ticket to investigate further.

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 12-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Thank you, Winston.

I found the issue I was running into is the index cache was low on space.  After I adjusted the cleanup criteria, it finally allowed power management feature to shut it down.  This was in my test enviornment, so I wasn't generous with the volume space.

Thanks for the help!  I will setup the failover next to see if the power management feature works with it.

Thanks!
    John 

Posted: 12-04-2018, 4:59 PM

Hi John

Thanks for the update 

Good to know you got the Index Cache sorted and sharing the findings. 

Feel free to keep us posted if you encounter other issues.

Thank you 

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy