Hyperscale and MA/CommCell patch management

Last post 12-13-2018, 4:02 AM by Jos1982_NL. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Hyperscale and MA/CommCell patch management
    Posted: 12-12-2018, 9:40 AM

Good Morning,

We have just deployed a new Hyperscale environment to replace our old CV environment.  So far, everything is going well.

Since Hyperscale is running Red Hat Linux, what do we do about OS patching?  We currently have a Red Hat Linux environment and have the ability to keep the MAs up-to-date on patches, but questioning if we should.  We are also wondering about the Windows CommCell also.

Just trying to get a "handle" on the responsibility for Windows/Linux patching.

Thanks,

Doug

• Re: Hyperscale and MA/CommCell patch management
    Posted: 12-12-2018, 4:44 PM

Hi Doug

I will assume that you are currently using the HyperScale Appliance (Fujitsu Servers), if that is the case, this is an end-to-end solution provided by CommVault. 

For OS Patching (kernel update on Redhat), I would recommend to engage CommVault Support to assist and find the correct pathway to upgrading. (Note - as the gluster services run on top of the OS, it is crucial to validate the environment by CommVault before proceeding). 

I would also recommend to engage CommVault to validate CommServe VM Patching, just to validate any known issue between Microsoft and CommVault before proceeding. 

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 12-12-2018, 4:53 PM

Wwong:

Hi Doug

I will assume that you are currently using the HyperScale Appliance (Fujitsu Servers), if that is the case, this is an end-to-end solution provided by CommVault. 

For OS Patching (kernel update on Redhat), I would recommend to engage CommVault Support to assist and find the correct pathway to upgrading. (Note - as the gluster services run on top of the OS, it is crucial to validate the environment by CommVault before proceeding). 

I would also recommend to engage CommVault to validate CommServe VM Patching, just to validate any known issue between Microsoft and CommVault before proceeding. 

Hopefully that helps 

Thank you 

Winston 

Winston,

You are corrrect that our Hyperscale are the Fujitsu servers.

I will contact support and get a formal answer so that I can present it to our Server Patching Team.

Thanks for the response.  

Doug

Posted: 12-13-2018, 4:02 AM

The update procedure from Commvault has this built in.

In a regular environment you will only receive updates for Commvault.
    When using a HyperScale appliance this same procedure will also download the needed driver updates, certificates updates, firmware updates and will perform an update check on the ControlHost (RedHat hypervisor layer, update check visible in events of hypervisor) and therefor will also update Gluster when the RedHat OS is being updated to a new version.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy