Feature Request - OnePass DR mirror

Last post 12-21-2018, 7:43 AM by SG1. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Feature Request - OnePass DR mirror
    Posted: 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Greetings all,

First a little background: my organization is very distributed and has on average 5-15 TB of production data to protect in Windows File System which we run daily backups and automatic aux copies on for DR coverage.

The problem: We have DR coverage via nightly aux copy to a datacenter but actually leveraging it is a big task, takes a long time to coordinate between IT staff and production staff, then changes have to be manually copied back using 3rd party tools once we go back to using the primary data set. Leveraging our "DR copy" during an extended power outage or weather emergency is often more trouble than it's worth.

The suggestion: Commvault has HSM via OnePass, and it has replication in the way of VM or SQL LiveSync. Take concepts from these two platforms and build a stub file mirror that syncs from your aux copy.

Essentially what I want is to be able to establish a OnePass-based LiveSync of Windows File stubs to a DR site. Virtually no space is being used and we can mirror 100 or more file sets this way where the changed files are updated as the DR copies are updated, similar to how LiveSync updates based on the last backup that ran. 

So in a DR event where our primary site is unreachable:

1. Staff are presented remote sessions to the DR system which has a mirror of stubs current as of the last backup.

2. As staff access the stubs, Commvault tracks what stubs are accessed and changed. 

3. Similar to LiveSync, once we're done using the DR system changes are pushed back towards the primary site ensuring the quickest, automatic update to files there. This would likely be a dash copy then restore.

This stub-based mirror of our files would be a huge selling point for an organization like mine and would create value and relevancy that could help Commvault rival Rubrik, Cohesity, Panzura, and others which offer some great DR options. We need uptime and data availability without the need (and cost) to dump hundreds of TB into the cloud.

• Re: Feature Request - OnePass DR mirror
    Posted: 12-21-2018, 7:43 AM

Hello Brad,

I will be reaching out to you directly outside of the CV Forums to assist with an Enhancement Request. I have discussed your idea with the CV Development Team and this is a welcome suggestion. Please look for a message from me in the next few days. 

Regards

SG1

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy