Can I schedule a job to simulated database restore?

Last post 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM by Boberic. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Can I schedule a job to simulated database restore?
    Posted: 12-12-2018, 8:14 PM

Hi All, 

I was asked by my business team to have a test restore on my production database every quarterly for auditing purposes. Unfortunately I do not have any servers nor storage for me to execute an actual database restore. I understand that Commvault is able to perform RMAN validation restore for Oracle databases. Do commvault has the same method for SQL databases?

Also, can I automate this validation restore to run every quarterly?

• Re: Can I schedule a job to simulated database restore?
    Posted: 12-14-2018, 8:26 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 07-10-2019, 6:47 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

To the best of my knowlege this is not possible for SQL server, but I'll check with some folks I know to see if there might be a way to do something similar. 

It's possible with Oracle because the validate is a feature built into RMAN that was able to be added to the Commvault agent. 

As far as scheduling the validation...  on Oracle yes.  Just go through the restore dialog, and make sure to select validate in the options tab.  After making all the selections in the "General" tab, go to the "Job Initiation" tab, and select schedule.  Click the "Configure" button to set the schedule pattern, and then click OK to set the schedule in place.  If you want to run the job right away, you can navigate to the schedules, right click the scheduled job and select "run immediately"

I'll post a follow up when I get feedback on the SQL agent.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 12-14-2018, 9:39 AM

efg:

As far as scheduling the validation...  on Oracle yes.  Just go through the restore dialog, and make sure to select validate in the options tab.  After making all the selections in the "General" tab, go to the "Job Initiation" tab, and select schedule.  Click the "Configure" button to set the schedule pattern, and then click OK to set the schedule in place.  If you want to run the job right away, you can navigate to the schedules, right click the scheduled job and select "run immediately"

Hi,

Above validation for Oracle, will it work for In-Place restore or out of palce restores as well?

Thanks,

Posted: 12-14-2018, 1:40 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

I think you can, but you would probably need an instance defined on the destination in order to have an RMAN session run.  I guess this would be to offload the rman process to another host?

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 12-14-2018, 5:40 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

I stand corrected...  apparently there IS an option for SQL iDA similar to the Oracle option for validate. (I was not aware this feature existed, but now I do) Cool

This option is called "Verify Only" and can be found in the advanced restore options on the SQL restore dialog.  As with the Oracle agent if you go to the "Job Initiation" tab, you can schedule these jobs as well.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 12-16-2018, 7:55 PM

Thanks Ernst. I'll give it a try for both SQL & Oracle.

Posted: 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Any kind of artificial/abstract test like this should concern your business team.  It doesn't really prove your environment can do an actual restore when the need arises.  In addition, it also doesn't prove your personnel have the knowledge to do it. 

If they want you conduct a meaningful test, they should fund it.  If that means servers, storage, and also personnel, so be it.  

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy