Mark Drives - Workflow

Last post 01-25-2019, 9:55 AM by JohnSW. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mark Drives - Workflow
    Posted: 01-03-2019, 8:23 AM

Hi - Happy New Year. This is my first post Here.

We have a weekly task to reset counters on our Tape drives. Each Drive needs to have Mark Drive Replaced, Mark Drive Cleaned and Mark Drive Fixed completed. We have 30 Drives, so this is repetitive and time consuming. I am fairly new to Commvault and completely new to workflows, but it seems ot me that this would be a good thing to automate using workflows. 

As I understand it, once I know how to do the first action, i.e, select a drive and run "Mark Drive Replaced" then duplicating it and setting it up for all the drives should be fairly straightforward.  However, I don't really know where to start. 

Please can someone advise? I have read through the documentation on workflows, so its just a matter of taking the plunge! 

Is it possible to create a workflow that only I can see, so that I can work on it and get it working before publishing/scheduling it?

Many Thnaks

John 

• Re: Mark Drives - Workflow
    Posted: 01-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Hi John,

Happy New Year !

are you cleaning the drives manually or something outside of CV?

if you are scheduling in CV then the counters will be reset automatically and will help with manually resetting.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10111.htm

Scheduling Drive Cleaning Operations

Drive cleaning operation can be scheduled to ensure that the drives are cleaned regularly at periodic intervals. Schedules can be created for multiple drives from the library level in the CommCell Browser. In addition, schedules can also be created for the individual drives at the drive level. When the schedule is executed the job will be displayed in the Event Viewer. After the successful completion of the cleaning operation, the system resets the counters that are linked to drive cleaning. You can view these counters from the Drive Properties (Odometers) tab.

The scheduled drive cleaning operation is not available for stand-alone drives.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM

Hello Gary.

The cleaning process is managed by the tape library outside of commvault.

Regards

John

Posted: 01-18-2019, 1:35 PM

Hi John,

in that case have a look at the pre-built workflows in the GUI called "Demo-xxxxxx". you can get a list of the drives and use the "For Each" activity to loop through each drive.

here is a link to use qcommands within the workflow.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/article?p=49663.htm#o49671

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 01-25-2019, 9:55 AM

Thank you very muich Gary, I'll have a look at those and see if I can work something out.

Much appreciated

Regards

John

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy