Cluster groups without a cluster

Last post 01-08-2019, 9:14 AM by Liam. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Cluster groups without a cluster
    Posted: 01-07-2019, 8:13 PM

Hi All,

i need to run FS backups on a client which is using an NFS share - the content of the NFS is the primary backup target

The same NFS share will be concurrently presented to other machines.

I do not have an application or virtualisation cluster here and will not be making backups directly from the storage array.

Can I use a cluster group to provide a level of backup HA even though I have no actual cluster?

This link says I can certainly create a cluster group with the FS agent in it :

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp7/article?p=features/clustering/advanced.htm

but would this work the way I want it?

I want to be able to designate a primary machine to do the daily backups, but if it fails, I want to be able to start using another one, but without dropping back to a level 0 / full job : the content on the second machine is to be recognised as the same content as the first.

Of course, if it is possible to split up the daily backup across multiple machines that have not failed then I have no problem with that at all but I rather suspect I will need an actual cluster for that.

THere will be a common MA for all clients.

Thanks

S

• Re: Cluster groups without a cluster
    Posted: 01-08-2019, 9:14 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,586

You could backup the data with a UNC path, but I'm not aware of failover functionality on the CS side for FS backups. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy