Media Selection Process

Last post 01-15-2019, 3:43 PM by BankstownCC. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media Selection Process
    Posted: 01-14-2019, 5:35 PM

Hi All,

Just have a question regarding tape libraries, is there a setting to force the tape library to write to new tapes (never been written too) first and then use tapes that have met retention and were returned to the scratch pool? 

Basically use the new tape first and then when there are none in the library start using the recycled tapes.

Had a look in the Media section in control panel but nothing stood out to me.

Thanks

John

• Re: Media Selection Process
    Posted: 01-15-2019, 1:51 PM

I have a very similar question.

Is there a way to force the use of a tape that was marked appendable after it was previously marked as full?

I have an LTO5 tape that was accidentally marked full. I marked it as 'appendable' but other/scratch pool tapes are being written to instead of this tape.

Posted: 01-15-2019, 3:29 PM

Hi John,

This should help.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=58040.htm

Spare/Cleaning Media Selection Criteria

• Use most reused media first

Specifies that the most recycled media is used first when a job requires a media, and that there is recycled media available in the scratch pool.

• Use least reused media first

Specifies that the least recycled media or new media is used first when a job requires a media, and that there is new media is available in the scratch pool.

• Use media based on capacity

Specifies whether you want to use and fill the lower capacity media first or the higher capacity media first.

Posted: 01-15-2019, 3:31 PM

Hi, this should help you.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10237.htm#o10250

Note: Media marked as Appendable will be appended by the storage policy copy (and the same stream in the storage policy copy) that was previously used to write to the media. For additional information, see Mark Media Appendable.

Mark Media Reusable

1. From the CommCell Browser, right-click the appropriate migrated media.

To select multiple migrated media, hold down the Ctrl key.

2. Click Mark Media Reusable.
    3. When you are asked if you want to mark the media as reusable, click Yes.

The media is marked reusable.

Posted: 01-15-2019, 3:43 PM

Looks like I already have it setup to "Use least reused Media first"... hmmm might have to log a support call. Thanks for the info. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy