No Accessible Controller for this Device when adding Disk Library (New Setup)

Last post 02-04-2019, 9:52 AM by tsmtmiller. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • No Accessible Controller for this Device when adding Disk Library (New Setup)
    Posted: 01-29-2019, 11:29 AM

We just had new CV hardware environment installed and during setup everything has gone smooth until trying to add a Disk Library. Im getting the annoying: "No Accessible Controller for this Device. Please check if Media Agent is online."  Im not seeing any "connections refused" entries and dont understand the ending errors on this CVMA log. 

The Commserve is at another site and the new environment (This media agent) is a remote location. The network team assured ports were opened which copy our other remote sites. 

Attachment: error1.jpg error2.jpg
  • Re: No Accessible Controller for this Device when adding Disk Library (New Setup)
    Posted: 01-29-2019, 1:27 PM

Are you sure that ports 8400-8403 are open in both directions? Id check from both servers to be sure, if the MA cant get back to the CS the config may fail with the err you see.

• Re: No Accessible Controller for this Device when adding Disk Library (New Setup)
    Posted: 01-29-2019, 4:40 PM

Hi tsmtmiller

Can you also do a "Check Readiness" at the Client level of the MediaAgent, to confirm communication is good?

Also when configuring the Disk Library, can you also use the "Expert Storage Configuration" and then share the results?

As mentioned by SG1, these type of errors are usually due to communication related issues between CommServe and MediaAgent, and the above test should help you narrow it down.

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 01-29-2019, 5:31 PM

"Check Readiness" at the Client level of the MediaAgent - is this not the error2.jpg I posted? The expert Mode the same thing happens. I have sent a request for the network admins to double check the firewall rules. 

Posted: 01-29-2019, 6:01 PM

Hi tsmtmiller 

Apologies for that, I didn't see the attachment from the original post. 

On top of what is showing in CVMA, do we see any additional errors from CVD?

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 01-30-2019, 11:50 AM

This AM I noticed the Disklibrary suddenly was there. I have no idea how or why but it was not showing any information like available disk space. So I removed it and added it back and the same No Accessible Controller popped up. Could it be timing out? This location has really low bandwidth.

CVD Log: I cant make any sense of the errors but I uploaded the ending few.

Attachment: CVD.log.jpg
    Posted: 01-30-2019, 12:56 PM

The creation of just a library name is just commserve side processing, its not until you add a mount path that the device controller part comes into play. Your issue sounds like a network issue, low bandwidth would do it but it would have to be really really slow. 

Is there a physical firewall in place? If yes, have you checked the CV FW Config to make sure it is set in line with your physical FW?

Regards

SG1

Posted: 01-31-2019, 5:33 AM

Hi tsmtmiller 

From the looks of the CVD.logs, everything looks to be alright (the errors highlighted in red are just  informational and would not be the cause of the controller errors).

I do agree with SG1's proposition to check the physical firewall, to ensure everything aligns. 

If the issue is on-going, I also do recommend to open up a Support Ticket to have it checked out.

Thank you 

Winston 

Posted: 01-31-2019, 3:22 PM

Yeah Network said the ports were open so I guess its support time.

This is the port info as I know:

8400, 8401, 8402, 8403, 135, 139, 443  and the Port Range of 50000-65503 Is allowed both ways from Commserve / Backup Server

902 Allowed b/w Commserve & Vcenter

443, 902 Allowed b/w Backup Server and Local ESX Hosts

Posted: 02-04-2019, 9:52 AM

There is a utility called CVPING in Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base which allows you to ping using a port number and I found some connections refused.

Its written like: cvping.exe <IP> -UseIPv4 -port 8400

So now its back to the network guys

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy