CommServe Software Cache will not populate

Last post 02-22-2019, 10:49 AM by kgao. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CommServe Software Cache will not populate
    Posted: 01-31-2019, 10:06 PM

v11 SP12

SP14 direct downloads and copy software (from downloaded source) tasks complete successfully, but software does not appear in Cache Details.

Tried deleting the cache, removing the directory manually, and nothing works.

My next task would be to upgrade to SP14 via an external download location, and then try again, but figured I'd put something out there to see if anyone had seen the same problem?

Excerpt from the AutoInstallServer.log

19980 1920  01/31 20:53:31 ### [NewSyncCacheInDB] Received package side to add: OS [WinX64] SPVersion [14_1685454]
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:32 ### [NewSyncCacheInDB] Received package side to add: OS [WinX64] SPVersion [14_1685454]
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:34 ### [NewSyncCacheInDB] Received package side to add: OS [WinX64] SPVersion [14_1685454]
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:36 ### [SetCacheValidity] inSyncWithCS = [true] syncupMode = [SyncUpdatesAndPackages]
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:36 ### [SyncCacheAndDB] SyncCacheAndDB successful
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:36 ### [SyncCacheAndDB] Setting all the remote cache status to invalid so that the sync will be performed.
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:36 ### [SetUpdateAgentCacheStatus]() - Setting the Package and Update Cache Status for all the updateAgents to [Invalid]
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:36 ### [SyncCacheAndDB] Updating baseline status for all clients in the commcell.
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:37 ### [GetFolderList]() - Directory does not exist [D:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\SW\CVMedia\11.0.0\SP14_1685454_R580\Windows\BinaryPayload\LooseUpdates\Updates]
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:38 ### [SyncCacheAndDB]() - Successfully updated the baseline status for all the clients in the commCell.
    19980 1920 01/31 20:53:38 ### [ClearXMLCachedList]() - Send request to clear XML cache for [Packages BinaryInfo] XML files

• Re: CommServe Software Cache will not populate
    Posted: 01-31-2019, 11:12 PM

Hi bkpadm3000,

Can you confirm that if you check the Version tab in the CommServe Properties sheet if you see "Needs Update V11 SP14" showing there?

I don't expect that this will appear in Cache details whilever your CommServe is not yet at this Service Pack level.

Regards,

Andrew

Posted: 01-31-2019, 11:46 PM

Andrew,

Update Status:  Needs Update (and it's showing SP14 (Build 1685454) for the packages below it)

Since the system was at SP12 prior to me deleting the cache, and it was populated with both Windows and Linux SP12, and still didn't show anything, I'm thinking something may be wrong?

Thanks for the reply!

Posted: 02-01-2019, 7:58 AM

Hi bkpadm3000,

Thanks for the clarification.

As mentioned previously, as the CommServe has not yet been upgraded and all other SP Packages have been removed from the CvMedia folder, nothing will show in Cache Details.

Once the CommServe has been upgraded to SP14 then the SP14 details will show in the Cache Details screen.

Regards,

Andrew.

Posted: 02-02-2019, 1:06 PM

Thanks Andrew.  That explains the behavior, but that doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense to me. 

If there is software in those directories it should show irrespective of which version you are currently at on the CS.  If someone from Commvault is reading this, please could you explain the reasoning for this, as it's created a whole lot of confusion for me?

Thanks again.

Posted: 02-02-2019, 9:52 PM

Hi bkpadm3000,

I am currently employed with Commvault and have been part of the support team for the last 2 years.

The reason behind this behaviour is so that users do not attempt to push out Service Packs that have not yet been applied to the CommServe as the CommServe should always be upgraded first.

Regards,

Andrew.

Posted: 02-03-2019, 8:07 PM

Andrew,

Please consider modifying this behavior.  The fact that you allow the software to be downloaded or copied to the cache, just makes the whole process more confusing.  At least consider showing the software, but implementing a check that if a customer tries an installation before the CommServe is upgraded, the job errors with a suitable warning saying something like "Please note your CommServe is not currently at this level" or words to that effect.

Then people wouldn't spend hours trying to work out why the cache isn't showing what was clearly downloaded/applied without error.

Thanks!

Posted: 02-21-2019, 6:42 PM

I had the same issue until I read this forum post.

Fully agree with bkpadm3000, to allow all software added to the Software Configuration Cahe to be visible, then check and restrict when a user tries to upgrade a client before the CommServe has been upgraded. The current behaviour leaves the user thinking the Copy Software process was unsuccessfull in some way.

While troubleshooting this issue and reading through various CommVault documentation, nowhere does it explain the current behaviour, causing a lot of frustration.

Regards Will

Posted: 02-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Hi Will & bkpadm3000,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually we already improved this behavior starting from SP14. Once you upgraded the CommServer to SP14, it will show ALL ServicePacks exist in cache. Let us say your CommServer has SP14 installed, and you have both SP14 and SP15 (not released yet) populated in cache, both ServicePacks will be shown in "Cache Details" dialog box.

Thanks,

Kim 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy