Changing client hostname in Commvault AIX directories

Last post 02-01-2019, 2:27 PM by efg. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Changing client hostname in Commvault AIX directories
    Posted: 02-01-2019, 2:01 PM

Hello

I have two AIX servers one is about to be retired and the other is about to replace the old client, both are now in production. They are both running AIX. When I retire the old server, I want to keep using the original name of the server. Are there any files I need to modify to reflect the new name of the server within Commvault AIX directory path?

Original server name ABCD new server named XYZ, rename XYZ to ABCD, and rename ABCD to ABCD_retired.

I will be changing the host within SMIT, anywhere in the Commvault folders that I will need to change the host name to ABCD.

Thanks,

• Re: Changing client hostname in Commvault AIX directories
    Posted: 02-01-2019, 2:27 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 07-10-2019, 6:47 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

Do you want to keep the backups from the original ABCD server and have them associated to the NEW ABCD server after the rename?  Or will the backups from the original ABCD server be aged out and removed once the ABCD_retired box is removed.

There are a couple ways to accomplish this but I think this would probablty be the easiest and most direct approach.

Also does the XYZ box have the Commvault agent already installed on it?

The easiest way I can think of doing this would be to install the agent onto XYZ so you can begin protecting the server.   Keep backing up ABCD as itself...   Then when you are ready to cut over to the new server...  use the following process:

1. Rename ABCD to ABCD_retired using SMIT.
    2. Using the Java Console right click on the ABCD client and select properties.
    3. In the "General" tab click the "Edit" button, and change the client name and client host name to match the ABCD client to ABCD_retired name that you changed it to (using SMIT)
    4. As long as the CS can resolve and connect to the ABCD_retired client it will connect to the client and update all the neccessary configurations (as well as the CS database) to reflect this client change.
    5. Once that has been completed, then do the same thing for client XYZ changing the name and hostname from XYZ to ABCD.  if the server already has the CV agent installed...
    6. Otherwise simply install a new agent on the XYZ server after having renamed it to ABCD using SMIT.

This way you can keep the existing backups associated to the correct server, plus if you do need to restore any data from the ABCD_retired client just run a cross server restore.  Then when the ABCD_retired no longer needs to be protected, simply release the license for the client, but don't delete the client until you no longer need any backups from that client (or you will delete the backups as well) 

Check out the documentation on data aging with regards to retired/aged client backups.

Data Aging - Look in the "Advanced" section for deleted, and retired clients.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy