Tape Restore Report

Last post 02-06-2019, 9:15 AM by BillyK. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tape Restore Report
    Posted: 02-04-2019, 4:56 PM


    To satisfy audit requirements, we need to generate a report of all restores that have been performed from tape.  When I run the job summary report and select the data recovery jobs option, I see all the restores as expected but when I reference restores that I know were done from tape, it lists the source media as disk!?  I know for certain that one of these restores was performed from tape and occured within the past month.  As a test, I performed a test restore from tape and regenerated the same report and it it's correctly showing the source media as the media ID of the tape.  I even ran the report for the past 10 years and I know for a fact that I've performed tape restores a few times a year but they're all showing up as disk for source media. Was this some sort of bug?  We just recently upgraded to SP13 last week.  Because of this, I now have no way that I'm aware of to generate a list of all your tape restores. (Unless there's another way)  Anyhow, can anyone speak to this?  Thank you!


    - Bill

  • Re: Tape Restore Report
    Posted: 02-04-2019, 5:20 PM



    Looking in to this . Will update on this . 





  • Re: Tape Restore Report
    Posted: 02-04-2019, 5:31 PM

    Thank you!  Another thing I just noticed, there's a media management setting that determines the retention of restore jobs and it defaults to 365 days.  (I can only view restore jobs back 1-year)  We don't do many tape restores so this may explain not seeing any with the exception of at least 1 that I know for certain was restored from tape about a month ago.  I need to determine whether or not there was some sort of bug that would cause the source media to be reported incorrectly and also confirm that the restore job history is exclusively tied to that media management setting. (365-days)  Or will it also age out if the corresponding backup job ages out.  Thank you!!

  • Re: Tape Restore Report
    Posted: 02-04-2019, 5:50 PM


    I was able to identify another restore job that I restored from tape back on 8/2/18.  Sure enough, when I run the restore report and identify the job, it reports the source media as disk.  There is definitely an issue. (or was)  Thank you.

  • Re: Tape Restore Report
    Posted: 02-06-2019, 5:22 AM

    Hi BillyK,


    This is working as expected locally. If you think this is an issue, please escalate to customer support.


    Thank you. 

  • Re: Tape Restore Report
    Posted: 02-06-2019, 9:15 AM

    Hi Saikat,

    I worked with Commvault support yesterday and they confirmed that the report is in fact reporting the source media incorrectly.  It has been escalated to tier 2.  Thanks.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy