Single Item Restore ( VM + NetApp )

Last post 02-06-2019, 4:05 AM by Ulf. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Single Item Restore ( VM + NetApp )
    Posted: 02-05-2019, 8:03 AM

Hi All,

i need your help to understand the right backup and restore process.

We have an NetApp Cdot cluster with nfs datastores. We have also an secondary netapp which should be used for snapvault destianation and we have commvault.

So my understanding is the following:

1) VM Snapshot to bring all VMs in an consistent mode

2) NetApp Volume Based Snapshot to snap the datastores

3) Remove Vm Snapshot

4) Make an snapvault to secondary location

This could be done by netapp native with there tools but we want to use commvault for all the steps.

I think the Snaps and the replication can be done with netapp open replication and intellisnap. right ?

When the customer dont whant to make an snapcopy from the secondary filer because he says hey i have data on an secodray location and i have the primarary snaps thats enough for me.- How ca we restore ?

the normal way could be:

1) Make an clone from the needed snapshot ( Only the datstore is included )

2) Mount the snapshot to an esxi datastore

3) Pick the .vmdk from the datastore and mount it to an helper vm

4) copy and paste the files

the hole VM oder single .vmdks are easier but how can commvault do this steps when we dont make an backup copy from the secondary filer ?

Is tehre enay option that an Comvmautl MediaAgent have a look into the array snapshot and than through the dtastore through the vmdk to the single files or did we have to make an copy to an maglib ?

thanks for your help to understand this process.

• Re: Single Item Restore ( VM + NetApp )
    Posted: 02-06-2019, 4:05 AM

Hi!

Yes you can use Open Replicator (we do) no problem. Beware of your primary and secondary volume names, don't change them later, Commvault does not handle that good (no problem on the NetApp side though), as I have experienced as we switched from OCUM to Open.

Also, you have to create al the realtionships before Commvault can use them (follow the guide to the letter), and you do not associate a Snapvault Schedule policy in NetApp.

You create your Storage Policy as normal (both primary array and secondary arrays and the used SVMs should be configured in Storage/Array Mgmt, and they should be added as clients with intellisnap enabled).

We have 7 day retention on the primary copy, and only longer on the secondary snap-copy.

Create your vCenter pseudo-client, and your BackupSets as you need them. For the subclient, you have to consider how you are going to choose your VMs,we use DataStoreCluster as our criteria, and VMs are rewquierd to have all disks within that DSC (othervise you will catch those other disks to). Enable intellisnap for the subclient.

Create a secondary snap copy, with the real backup retention, and configure the source-destination SVM relationship for the Copy (especially if you use a fan-out with more  snap copys.

The backup schedule for the VM's: I recommend disabel catalog indexing as that will take enormous amout of time for a large enviroment. Restores use "live browse" anyway.

Create the aux-copy schedule to run!

Then you need your VSA to be Media Agents to, otherwise it wouldn't work, we use ESX rpoxies from the production cluster to a separate ESX, with Intellisnap the ESX and VSA do not do hard work anymore.

After your primary snap-backup and secondary Snapvault has run, you are set for Restore and you do not need a backup-copy for this to work. You can ofcourse do the manual procedure to clone, and mount as you discribed, but Commvault does all that work for you.

When you initialize a restore, you can chose: singel file restore , vmdk restore, vmdk attache to other host or a full VM (to same or different place). Then it will start the "live browse", and actually create the snap-clone from the array that has the snap (could be the primary or the secondary, or you can force it to one of them), and mount it on the ESX you have chossen as proxy, and you will see it in your vC as "galaxy" DataStore or somethin similar.

Caveats: VMware tools is required for single file restore, and your Commvault user need to be able to authenticate in the host OS. For RHEL we use Quest and CV user has no privilidges in host, so all files goes to /tmp, and user needs to do a ssh login to the host for it to work.

vCenter tags are not part of the restore cain as far as I am aware. We run in to issues with vRealize sometimes.

We have 6500 VMs running on 4 NetApp cluster with 2 secondarys, and use intellisnap for about 5500 of the VMs (database VMs have disks in several DSC).

The load on tha backup servers (all of them are VMs on dedicated cluster) are low, but you do have to work a bit with the Aux-copy jobs. Follow the CVMA log in the Commcell for trouble shooting.

>>When the customer dont whant to make an snapcopy from the secondary filer because he says hey i have data on an secodray location and i have the primarary snaps thats enough for me <<

Do you mean they don't need a backup-copy from the secondary, (that is creating a "normal" streaming backup from the snap)? If so, yes they really don't need that unless they need to unspool the backup to, say a S3 layer or nedd tapes (bad memorys from those beasts).

I recommend you set up a test enviromen with a limited amount of non critical VMs, to nail down your specific  processes as your envirmonet is probably different from mine (we use FibreChanel for example).

Hope that helps you, good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for clarification! :-)

Regards

Ulf Wennergren

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy