Live Sync as DR solution for Commserve?

Last post 02-22-2019, 3:05 PM by farmer. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Live Sync as DR solution for Commserve?
    Posted: 02-05-2019, 8:17 PM

I understand that Live Sync I/O is in the early stages so this inquiry is about plain old Live Sync. (replication from backups)  Would you see this as a viable DR solution for the Commserve?  Is anyone using Live Sync for this purpose?  Would there be any concerns about an RPO of 1-day assuming we stick with our current schedule of a nightly VSA backup of the Commserve?  Or would you recommend running the backup X number of times per day to reduce the RPO?  We have an implementation of Zerto but we're tight on licensing so I'm considering Live Sync as a replacement for our current DR solution which is just hourly SQL backups/restores of the Commserve database to a remote server.  I'd prefer a solution that replicates the entire VM if it makes sense.  I'd conside Llive Sync I/O but I'm not sure how mature and ready this presently is.  I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks!

- Bill

• Re: Live Sync as DR solution for Commserve?
    Posted: 02-22-2019, 3:04 PM

You could do a hybrid, livesync the VM, and replicate the SQL backups to the off site.

We have the Commvault SQL DB files on dedicated disks on the comserv VM.  Those disks are marked independent/persistent so they do not participate in snapshots and or backups of the VM.  The DR backup of the DB is on one of the normal disk and get replicated off site with vSphere replication.

When we run DR tests, we power up the VM, add a few disks for the SQL DB, and run the Commvault DR recovery GUI.

Note: the SQL system files are not on the independent disks otherwise SQL will not start.

Hope this helps or gives a few ideas

• Re: Live Sync as DR solution for Commserve?
    Posted: 02-22-2019, 3:05 PM

You could do a hybrid, livesync the VM, and replicate the SQL backups to the off site.

We have the Commvault SQL DB files on dedicated disks on the comserv VM.  Those disks are marked independent/persistent so they do not participate in snapshots and or backups of the VM.  The DR backup of the DB is on one of the normal disk and get replicated off site with vSphere replication.

When we run DR tests, we power up the VM, add a few disks for the SQL DB, and run the Commvault DR recovery GUI.

Note: the SQL system files are not on the independent disks otherwise SQL will not start.

Hope this helps or gives a few ideas

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy