How to disconnect old disk?

Last post 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM by Ken_H. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to disconnect old disk?
    Posted: 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I implemented a three node HyperScale solution at my main datacenter to serve as my primary backup destination.  All storage policies were updated to use this new policy and it was been working well.  Now I'd like to remove my old disk which is two HP MSA disk devices.

In the CommCell Browser, I can right-click > View Contents on the drives associated to the MSA and CommVault says there are no backups stored there.

I thought it might be as simple as right-click > Delete Mount Path but when I try this I get the obligatory "Are you sure?" question followed by the error "Mount path is used by a Deduplication database":

When I right-click > Properties on the drive letters I see DDB Name="SIDB_GDP1-Windermere..."

I'm not sure what to do.  How can I get the MSA disks disconnected from CommVault?

Ken

• Re: How to disconnect old disk?
    Posted: 02-06-2019, 12:56 PM

When I look at the properties for the deduplication engine associated with the MSA disk I see a line that reads:

Total size of Application Data across all the DDB(s):  0 bytes

By comparison, the properties for the HyperScale deduplication engine shows:

Total size of Application Data across all the DDB(s):  337.42 TB

So it appears I need to delete the deduplication engine for the old disk.  A right-click on the old one gives a menu with only one item (Properties) so it's not obvious what needs to be done to delete this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken

Posted: 02-06-2019, 1:46 PM

Within the Console GUI, I selected Home (menu item) > Control Panel (from ribbon) > Expert Storage Configuration (within the Storage section) > selected the media agent the MSA drives are connected to and clicked Add, OK.  This presents me a window showing the two libraries connected to this server:  My MSA disks and my tape library.

If I right-click on the MSA library there is a "Deconfigure" option.  I'll try reaching out to someone at CommVault to confirm these are the proper steps to follow.

Posted: 02-07-2019, 7:27 AM

Hi Ken

The proper procedure to decommission a Disk Library with DDB association involves the following:

• You will need to remove the association of the DDB to the Mount Paths of the Disk Library, which will require:
      • Sealing the DDB 
      • Either manually age out all the Jobs (assuming it is already Aux Copied to the new Site) or wait for all the Jobs to meet retention 
      • Once all the associated Jobs are aged from the DDB, the DDB will have no more association to the Mount Paths.
      • You can then safely remove the Mount Paths
      • Remove the Disk Library 
      • Release the License 
      • Remove/Decommission the MediaAgent. 
    Note - once the Sealed DDB has completely dis-associated from the Mount Path, after 24 hours it will be automatically removed from the GUI

Obviously the above is just a general guideline, and it is important to align with the organizations need and requirement before doing Backup Job deletion. 

Hopefully this helps

Thank you 
     Winston
    Posted: 02-07-2019, 10:35 AM

In discussion with local CommVault staff, I used the browser-based Admin GUI to delete the disk from the list of available Storage Pools.  This appears to have deleted the DDB associated with that disk.  Next I tried to delete the disk from the list of Storage Targets but got the error "The mount path has valid backup data". 

I traced the problem back to a storage policy named "CommServeDR" that was set up prior to me starting to work with CommVault.  I don't know what this is but it was easy enough to update the Primary copy to the new HyperScale disk.  This backup runs every hour and the problem is that it has a 7 day retention which means I won't be able to remove my old disk until some time next week.

If any other customers read this, I would recommend opening a ticket with CommVault support.  This is certainly not as easy a process as I had originally expected.

Winston, I appreciate the detailed answer you provided and will mark it as the solution.

Ken

Posted: 02-07-2019, 10:38 AM

In discussion with local CommVault staff, I used the browser-based Admin GUI to delete the disk from the list of available Storage Pools.  This appears to have deleted the DDB associated with that disk.  Next I tried to delete the disk from the list of Storage Targets but got the error "The mount path has valid backup data". 

I traced the problem back to a storage policy named "CommServeDR" that was set up prior to me starting to work with CommVault.  I don't know what this is but it was easy enough to update the Primary copy to the new HyperScale disk.  This backup runs every hour and the problem is that it has a 7 day retention which means I won't be able to remove my old disk until some time next week.

If any other customers read this, I would recommend opening a ticket with CommVault support.  This is certainly not as easy a process as I had originally expected.

Winston, I appreciate the detailed answer you provided and will mark it as the solution.

Ken

Posted: 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM

Apologies for the duplicate posts, I received a connection timeout and resubmitted the post a second time thinking the first had failed.  *Sigh*  Technology.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy