Cannot restore database

Last post 01-24-2011, 7:02 PM by JWeir. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Cannot restore database
    Posted: 01-23-2011, 8:55 PM

Hey all,

I have recently upgraded a SQL Server from 2005 to 2008 and reinstalled commvault client without issue, as well as restoring a couple of databases, however for a particular database i am getting the following error:

Query Result [User does not have permission to RESTORE database]

I definately do have the rights because i have been restoring databases on this server earlier.

Any ideas on why this might crop up?

• Re: Cannot restore database
    Posted: 01-24-2011, 5:54 AM

Are you sure you have the permissions necessery? This is an database user, not a local user or AD user.

You have to explicitly give permissions to this user:

SQL Server Manager -> Securtity -> Logins.

Check there.

If it jams, force it.
    If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    Posted: 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Hello,

I did a Google search and found some articles that should be helpful.  Below was one that may resolve your issue:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/13/10055888/database-restore-problem.aspx

JW

Posted: 01-24-2011, 6:47 PM
    Posted: 01-24-2011, 6:49 PM

Ok,

All sorted. I have added our commvault admin user to be a part of the sysadmin server role.

I thought having the admin as a local admin on the box would have been enough, but SQL2008R2 requires explicit permissions to be set.

Thankyou for the responses. Much appreciated.

Posted: 01-24-2011, 7:02 PM

Adam,

Excellent news.  Thanks for the response back.

JW

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy