Split Commcell

Last post 02-15-2019, 9:50 AM by LEDFOUR. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Split Commcell
    Posted: 02-13-2019, 1:03 PM

New question,

I am being asked to migrate 2500 Client Lap/Desk backups to a new Commcell that was purchased just for this purpose. So essentially seperating Server Infrastructure backups and client backups to two different Commcells.

They will be both residing on the same network, pretty much next to each other.

So it will seal the DDB on the old Commcell and a new SP DDB will need to be provided.

But, as the MA that is handling this load in the current commcell is dedicated to just these backups and it has a local DDB not Global. It is basically the MA for all of these clients I will be migrating.

Is there a way to migrate the MA/DDB/Library over without any sealing or change?

So migrate the MA over and the DDB and the library still works for the clients that will be migrated as well.

Thanks

LED4
  • Re: Split Commcell
    Posted: 02-13-2019, 7:05 PM

May I know reason for spliting CommCell? 

Posted: 02-14-2019, 8:54 AM

Hi Prasad,

We have contracted with CVRMS for day to day operations globally, but to not include the 2500 clients in the Americas, just our core server infrastructure. 

So currently, until I vacate the 2500 devices from the current Commcell, we are not getting that services here in the Americas. These devices range from desktops to roaming laptops in Brazil, Mexico, US, and Canada. Any "retail" location may actually use the internet for VoIP phones and connection to our Global POS/CRM. So if we consume the pipe for a full, we take down services. 

I do have a CV proxy deployed for the public side backups as well.

Originally the CV Account Manager told us that we can import/export all of the client records with a Commcell Merge. Which makes sense as we can then not have to redeply and re-register each client. Sixty days of incrementals and I am using about 22 TB of storage and it is not alot of retention.

But as we are talking about 2500 devices in Coporate offices, retail sites, production floor PC's, roaming sales people on and off VPN. Bandwidth on the end is the issue, as these people/locations can be in locations that are bandwidth challenged such as DSL or some even still on dial up. The original deployment was done over 6 to 8 months as we made sure not to overwhelm any one location. But now we need to move quickly to get this done. 

The other aspect is that I have a physical server to stand up as the commserv, but we would like to not have to duplicate MA/DDB/SAN storage for this migration and just "lift" the MA over. All of the infrastructure would be local to one another in the same datacenter.

So I am trying to discover all the options that are possible while taking in to consideration bandwidth and speed to accomplish with out affecting day to day business work, as well as utilizing hardware appropriately.

Thanks

LED4
    Posted: 02-14-2019, 5:17 PM

I see your main concern is running full. We can make some changes to migration part and allow running incremental after migration to a new DDB in new CommServe.  Except DDB there is no need to duplicate MA/SAN Storage. You can migrate MA and Storage to new CommServe and reuse it. You just need to create a new stoage policy/DDB. Please reach out to our support so that we can assist you in migration to allow incrementals on new CommServe.

At present DDB can hold data from only one CommCell so we don't have a support to migrate DDB from one CommCell to another CommCell without sealing. 

Posted: 02-15-2019, 7:43 AM

Prasad, you just saved me a bunch!Cool

I will start getting the hardware ready and I'll open a support ticket in regard to this on Monday.

LED4
    Posted: 02-15-2019, 9:35 AM

Make sure to not configure any clients on the new CommServer other than installing CommServer and applying license. 

Mention may name in support ticket and ask them to escalate it to development team. 

Posted: 02-15-2019, 9:50 AM

Yep just base Commserv install, thanks again.

LED4
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy