Migrate all tape backup data to disk

Last post 02-19-2019, 8:57 AM by Wwong. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Migrate all tape backup data to disk
    Posted: 02-14-2019, 7:49 PM

Hi All,

I'm in the process of upgrading a Hitachi Data Protection Suite 10 R2 backup solution to a version which my client will be able to purchase support for. One of the issues I am facing is having to copy all LTO3 tape data onto disk and ensuring it is properly retained.

The current setup is that we have the DPS server sitting in a DC performing daily incremental each day except Friday on which a synthetic full is performed. This is retained for 14 days on that server and each Saturday the last synthetic full is copied to an on-prem MediaAgent disk library and then another copy is performed from that on-prem disk library to tape.

I've been advised that in order to perform an update of the backup software that the LTO3 tape library needs to be decommissioned so my main task now is to get a copy of all that tape data into the server in the DC which we have configured a new 20TB storage library on.

I've been staring at the console for a while now and I'm not confident I can configure a copy policy that will correctly copy all existing tape data to the new disk library. Can anyone here offer some advice on how to configure this old unsupported system?

Cheers

• Re: Migrate all tape backup data to disk
    Posted: 02-15-2019, 8:16 AM

Hello Shayne,

Can you clarify the issues you think you may be running into with the Tape to Disk copy you would be creating to move the data off LTO 3 to disk storage? It may help the forum members provide some guidance. 

Regards

SG1

Posted: 02-15-2019, 6:12 PM

Hi Shayne

From the review of the description, is your primary concern the overall speed of the Aux Copy from Tape back to Disk?

If performance is the primary concern, and you don't believe it is running fast enough, the only option is to really understand whether we are utilizing all the resources.

Key areas to concentrate on:

• Are we reading from Tape fast enough
    • Are we writing to the Disk Library fast enough.
    During Aux Copy operation (asssuming not Deduplicated), CommVault will read from Tape (over SCSI) and then send the request to the MediaAgent, which gets translated as a write to the Disk Library. 

You can use:
    Note - if the above yield positive results and matches what the Aux Copy is performing, there really isn't much that could be done, as we will be utilizing pretty much all the physical resources.

As you may already be aware as this is LTO3, the read/write might not be as fast as the later Tape Library, so this could be your general bottleneck. 

Hopefully this helps

Regards

Winston 
    Posted: 02-17-2019, 5:05 PM

Hi SG1 and Winston,

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. The issue is primarily my lack of knowledge of this particular software and it's configuration idiosyncrasies. My main concerns are:

• That I perform the copy in such a manner that the copy is retained as required (monthly for 12 months, Yearly indefinitely)
    • Once the job is configured, can we just rotate the tapes with backup data in as needed or will it advise of a particular order they are needed in?
    • A minor conern over the Dedupe database size as I received a warning about retaining items indefinitely whilst using deduplication
    The current storage policy has the following copies:
    1. Backup up to ComCell server disk - Primary copy - retain for 14 days
    2. Copy to on-prem disk library - Selective copy - retain for 14 days
    3. Copy to on-prem tape - Selective copy - Retain monthly for 365 days, Yearly for 7 years
    The third copy has a source of the second as that is local to it. Currently my understanding is I would create an additional two copies as below:
    1. Copy to on-prem disk - Selective (Source is copy 3 above) - retain for 3 days
    2. Copy to ComCell new disk library - Selective (Source is line above) - Retain monthly for 365 days, Yearly for 7 years
    The first step to copy to disk is just for the purpose of speed of retrieval from tape. Am I overthinking this? I can't see where I can perform an auxillary copy of the backup sets.
    Thanks,
    Shayne
    Posted: 02-18-2019, 7:03 AM

Hi Shayne

As you are just looking to have Jobs retained on Disk for long term, i would recommend utilizing the on-prem Disk Library to do so.

Suggestion:

Rather then creating new Copies, use the existing copies:

2. Copy to on-prem disk library - Selective copy - retain for 14 days
    3. Copy to on-prem tape - Selective copy - Retain monthly for 365 days, Yearly for 7 years

For 2. (Copy to on-prem disk library - Selective copy - retain for 14 days), change the retention to  Retain monthly for 365 days, Yearly for 7 years and the Source to come from 3. (Copy to on-prem tape). 

By doing the above you will:
    • Aux Copy from Tape back to Disk (with long term retention), while maintaining the existing Data (which is already on Disk)

End Result
    2. Copy to on-prem disk library - Selective copy - retain for 365 days, Yearly for 7 years (Source Copy to on-prem tape )
    3. Copy to on-prem tape - Selective copy - Retain monthly for 365 days, Yearly for 7 years (Source is Primary Copy)

By not needing to create a new Copy, you mitigate from the need of creating new DDB. 

Note - you can only associated one DDB per Copy (can have two same DDB to two Copy within the Storage Policy)

Hopefully the above is clear.

Thank you 

Winston 
    Posted: 02-18-2019, 4:37 PM

Hi Winston,

Redirecting the future backups to disk has already been applied, I left it out of my description above intentionaly but probably shouldn't have. The end game here is to decommission the tape library as it has had several power supply failures and is not reliable long term.

As it stands the backups are no longer going to tape, my intention is to copy all of the existing data on the tapes to the disk library to ensure we have a copy of the monthly and yearly backups that currently only reside on tape.

Apologies if was confusing!

Shayne

Posted: 02-19-2019, 8:57 AM

Hi Shayne

Thanks for the clarification 

If the ultimate goal is to decommission the Tape Library, then there shouldn't be an issue with the process that you are going through 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy