Non modified files

Last post 03-04-2019, 10:41 AM by Liam. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Non modified files
    Posted: 02-20-2019, 9:26 AM

Hello,

I have an issue where non modified files gets backed up repeatadly.

It's the same files it happens to.

Can anyone point me in a direction, maybe log files, where I can start to investigate.

So far I haven't come up with anything when I looked over the files and directories.

BR

Henke

• Re: Non modified files
    Posted: 02-20-2019, 3:24 PM

Do you have A/V on the server that may be touching the files?

Posted: 02-20-2019, 3:43 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 05-17-2019, 3:45 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,655

Can you also specify what platform this is on?   For Unix/Linux files, there are two criteria that determine if a file qualifies for backup...  "ctime" and "mtime" 

mtime = modification time, and gets updated when ever a file's contents are changed.

ctime = change time, and gets updated when mtime changes or if attributes of a file (like ownership or permissions) are changed. 

You can check these values using the "ls" command with "-l" to show modification time, or "-lc" to show change time.

If this is a Unix/Linux system there may be a file scanning utility (like virus scan or some other security scan) that may be updating the ctime of the file.

I have see a similar issue with Windows servers where AV scans have a similar affect to the change journal.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 02-20-2019, 3:49 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,581

If you run a test backup on a dataset that is having the issue, try recurisve and see if the same problem happens. 

Posted: 02-21-2019, 2:28 AM

jszutarski:

Do you have A/V on the server that may be touching the files?

Yes there is, but I didn't find anything odd there.

Posted: 02-21-2019, 2:32 AM

efg:

Can you also specify what platform this is on?   For Unix/Linux files, there are two criteria that determine if a file qualifies for backup...  "ctime" and "mtime" 

mtime = modification time, and gets updated when ever a file's contents are changed.

ctime = change time, and gets updated when mtime changes or if attributes of a file (like ownership or permissions) are changed. 

You can check these values using the "ls" command with "-l" to show modification time, or "-lc" to show change time.

If this is a Unix/Linux system there may be a file scanning utility (like virus scan or some other security scan) that may be updating the ctime of the file.

I have see a similar issue with Windows servers where AV scans have a similar affect to the change journal.

This is on a Windows Server system.

Posted: 02-21-2019, 2:58 AM

Aplynx:

If you run a test backup on a dataset that is having the issue, try recurisve and see if the same problem happens. 

Running it now, I'll get back with an update.

Posted: 03-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Now I completed 2 Fulls and following incrementals.

I changed to recursive, ran a Full and the incrementals after looks fine about 5GB of change. Then changed back to optimized scan and ran a Full and then the incrementals get to be around 100GB each.

Seems something with the Optimized scan is having an issue.

Is there any draw backs of changing the backup to Recursive permanent?

BR

Henke

Posted: 03-04-2019, 10:41 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,581

Could be corruption in the change journal database. Try recreating it first. 

Delete and recreate the Change Journal on the (drive:) using the following commands. This creates a 4GB max size change journal on the (drive:). 

fsutil usn deletejournal /D (drive:)

fsutil usn createjournal m=4294967296 a=104857600 (drive:)

See the following Microsoft TechNet article for more information:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042.aspx
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy